Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt with no batting? >

Quilt with no batting?

Quilt with no batting?

Old 09-06-2020, 05:35 AM

I've made quite a few with no batting, simply because I'm not a fan of the quilting part of making quilts.

For some I used fleece and some I used flannel for the other side. I sewed them together inside-out like you would a pillow case. I then turned them right side out, hand-sewed the opening, and edge-stitched twice, about 1/4" then about 3/4" from the edge. For some I also tied and some I did not, but both have been washed countless times and have held up well.

Easy-peasy.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
I don't use batting when I use minky fabric for the back. Had no problems. Now I will try with cotton backing!
I have just used flannel or fleece ( which is sort of like minky). I just use a medium meander for the quilting. I made one for my daughter several years ago and she uses it on the couch so it gets lots if wear what with the dogs and cats and it has held up very well
Old 09-06-2020, 06:21 AM

Have two quilts that I rotate on our Queen bed. Both have no batting and just love them. DH gets too hot with batting. Both were quilted by longer armer and had no issues at all.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:59 AM

I have always batted my quilts but I live in a northern climate where sometimes even in the summer a warm quilt is needed. I don see any reason to no use a batting. I would think that flannel or minky would be a good backing fabric for your quilt.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:06 AM

Here is a thread started from Mrsnussbaum back on 8/7/2020 who wanted to tie a crazy quilt instead of quilting it. In reply #3, Iceblossom came up with a great idea as to how to bury the ends of a tied quilt between the top & bottom layer. I think this would look good on a quilt if you don't like the idea of loose ends from the ties showing and you want to tie it instead of quilting it. Just another suggestion to consider.

Crazy quilt question