Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt not sliding easily enough >

Quilt not sliding easily enough

Quilt not sliding easily enough

Old 01-28-2015, 06:30 PM

Default Quilt not sliding easily enough

I am not an experience FMQ but I am trying to fmq a baby quilt. THe top is pieced cotton and the bottom is fleece. It is not sliding easily at all. I have a supreme slider but that does not seem to be helping. I believe I heard there is something that can be sprayed on the table and throat to help. Is it safe to spray on the machine and does it work well. ANy suggestions that could help me would be appreciated. Thanks

I should add I have quilted some small items (runners, etc) with cotton backing and not had the problem. Is fleece know to drag?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:44 PM

I've heard there is a silicon spray that is safe for fabrics and machines, but I don't know where to buy it. I use a large sheet of vinyl and dust it with powder. Probably not good for my machine, but I'm careful to not let it blow around.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:11 PM
Power Poster

I''''m wondering if it's drag of the fleece against the machine/slider surface or if the added thickness of the fleece is hanging up on the foot. You might want to try raising the presser foot a bit.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

Are you doing an all over FMQ? If so you could flip it over and quilt on the fleece side.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM

I read somewhere on the internet (maybe even this site) take a fabric dryer sheet and rub on your sewing surface. It does help some in making it slide more.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Power Poster

I buy the silicone spray at my sewing machine store and can also get it at the local jobber. I spray it on the bed of the machine, and all of the table surrounding, then wipe off the excess with a paper towel.

BE CAREFUL ... and overspray onto your floor, can make it VERY slippery and dangerous!

Here's a link to a quilt I did with a fleece backing. I made some notes about my experiences with the fleece that might help you.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t239508.html

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-28-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:33 AM

I bought several Teflon sheets on Amazon - they're supposed to go in the bottom of your oven to catch drips so they're black (not very pretty) but they're more than twice the size of the largest Super Slider and cost about 1/8th as much. I bought four and used Gorilla tape (also black and fairly slippery) to tape them all down so now almost my entire sewing surface is slippy. It helps a lot - I leave them on all the time. I cut one so it fits around the plate on the bed of my machine, so the plate is still removable for cleaning out the bobbin without me having to remove the Teflon.

I've heard of silicone spray being used but never tried it myself.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:17 AM

To avoid "drag" I made a homemade quilting table from cardboard boxes, taped together, just the right height for my machine, then taped the heavy vinyl that you get at JoAnn's or Hancock's or the like on the bottom of the table, made a place for my machine, then spray the silicone spray very lightly over the entire table and the throat space of my machine, it's TOTALLY amazing what a difference it makes. I got the spray at Hancock's.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:51 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I love your cow quilt QuiltE. My problem is I have marked a design on the front so can't turn it over and quilt from the fleece side. I have some vinyl so I will try that and also see if I can find some silicon spray.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I love your cow quilt QuiltE. My problem is I have marked a design on the front so can't turn it over and quilt from the fleece side. I have some vinyl so I will try that and also see if I can find some silicon spray.
Thanks Gaga! .... the cows were an easy to do quick project!
Please let us know what works for you!