Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt of old jeans >

Quilt of old jeans

Quilt of old jeans

Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM

When my grandson was 2, I made him a quilt out of his granddad's old Levis. He still has it today...he will be 21 this summer. It made many trips to horse shows and cattle shows. I made a quillow. It probably covered the top of a twin bed. Using the denim I made 12" crazy patch blocks flipping and sewing using muslin for the foundation base. I used red thread and stitched along the seams with different decorative machine stitches this kept the seams flat. I used a western cotton print for the backing. I put the top and backing right sides together and stitched and turned. I did not use a batting because the denim is so heavy..this is also why I used a cotton backing and not flannel. I did use a couple back pockets when making the blocks. After turning I smoothed out the edge and again with red thread and using a decorative stitch I stitched around the outer edge. This gave the edge a nice flat finish. I tacked using 6 stands of red embroidery floss and trimmed fairly close. You could also use a back tack or other stitch on the machine to tack the quilt. I used a piece of the western print for the "pocket" that makes the front of the pillow that the quilt folds into. I don't remember at what stage that piece is sewn on...too many years have past. I looked for a picture but did not find one. I am sure there are free quillon patterns and directions online and maybe some how to video's on Youtube. If you are interested I would google--quillow. For the memory quilt for the mother if something like this is used maybe some other clothing of the daughter could be used as the back and something from a special garment for the pillow cover.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 PM

I sew old jeans into to quilts for my husband to use when he is working on cars. Keeps him from grabbing a good blanket.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 PM

Hi Annieshane.....Your mother is right. I remember telling my sister-in-law that I never knew pain could cut so deep. Making the quilts was a healing process. Thank you for your prayer. My son was a Christian. I saved the pocket pieces and made a tote for the granddaughter with the blue pockets on one side and the green ones on the other and pockets on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-33587.jpe  
Old 02-05-2010, 05:28 AM

For new college students I cover a 24 inch pillow with pieces of denim sewn together...then cut to size. I do an envelope closing in the back for easy removal for washing. WONDERFUL for sitting/leaning back in bed when they study. It is a hit by ALL...and uses up the denim material. I do not add the pockets because at one time or another the pockets would be upside down.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:15 PM

I have 6" squares cut from my husband's jeans but have not done anything with them yet. My girfriends mom makes a jean quilt when her grandchildren graudate. She kkeps the pockets on in some of the pieces. Inside she tucks money for the graduate. I thought that was a great idea plus they have something special from grandma.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:50 PM

I made one for my grandson when he was little. I cut irregular shapes, leaving in pockets, zippers, etc. and just sewed them together with regular seams. I lined the back with red kerchief material. He loved it and drug it out of the closet for him and his friends to lounge on while they played with their computer. He may still have it, I don't know. It was really neat.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:11 AM

I also made picnic placemats from old jeans. Left the pocket on to hold the napkin and fork, knife, and spoon. Made the napkins out of bandanas. Looks cute on the patio table.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:51 PM

I made 2 twin size quilts from old jeans that were 6" square for my son and daughter when they were 5 and 3. I really didn't know what I was doing as those were the first 2 quilts I ever made. I used cardboard from the old "All" laundry detergent boxes. Husband was laid off, so money was tight.
I sewed light and dark pieces together, nothing fancy. For the backing I used a blue sheet blanket and a yellow sheet blanket that my kids had. For the batting, my mom had given me 2 old electric blankets that didn't work anymore and pulled the cords out .
I used green yarn to tie my son's quilt and pink yarn for my daughter's quilt. My husband's grandmother showed me how to do what she called "the hillbilly blind stitch" and handsewed the hem all around the quilts. The quilts are still intact, but one mistake I made...I used all the jean that I could use...even the worn. :-( Mistake that I never did after, so I need to repatch the rips and the kids still want their quilts. They are 34 and 32.
Hope this mistake of mine as a new self taught beginner will help all new quilters.
I have totes and bags of old jeans that I have saved over the years and someday plan to make a king size jean quilt for our bed. I will be putting 4 zippers in it to zip it apart to wash and dry it...that way my washer isn't overloaded as I know this will be a heavy one.

I also made a full size quilt from my mother in law's old polyester clothes. I used 5" squares for that one. Believe it or not....it is still in use and very warm. My husband says it is the ugliest thing he ever saw...LOL... with all the wild colors and material patterns.

Below you will see a quilt that I made for my 1st grandchild. Needless to say...it wasn't taken care of and will soon start the process of a new bigger one for her. When I get a few other unfinished quilts done. So much to do...so little time in a day.

I have 2 other sets of twins to make blue jean quilts for as well. All in time...all in time! They just turned 5 and 4.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-18188.jpe