Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt panel not square >

quilt panel not square

quilt panel not square

Old 03-10-2021, 02:30 PM

I tape one side to my cutting table. Then I dampen the panel and gently 'persuade' a second side to conform to the 90 degree angle of the table. That side gets taped down. I continue doing this until all 4 sides are taped down. Then I spray it to make it quite wet and leave it to dry. It's my go-to method and, while time consuming, it has worked well for me.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I tape one side to my cutting table. Then I dampen the panel and gently 'persuade' a second side to conform to the 90 degree angle of the table. That side gets taped down. I continue doing this until all 4 sides are taped down. Then I spray it to make it quite wet and leave it to dry. It's my go-to method and, while time consuming, it has worked well for me.
What a great method!
Old 03-11-2021, 06:41 AM

Donna Jordan at Jordans Fabrics has a good you tube on panels and straightening. Do a search. I will see if i have it saved.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Grey Lady View Post
This works. Ask me how I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGE2B5jcsms
Thank you so much for posting this site. I learned so much from the video. I will book mark it for later reference. I use panels to make wall hangings for each month of the year.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:02 AM

I have only used a very few panels in my quilting career. One I cut around the design and appliqued that main piece to a baby quilt. Another I bought to use as you are trying to do and had limited success. I tell myself I need to try again. I know I will be successful and am confident. I keep looking but haven't found the perfect panel. I would think sashing might even out the borders even if the sashing has to be a bit awkward as long as it is not noticeably off. I like some of the suggestions here and will put them to use possibly when I do another panel.