Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Piping

Quilt Piping

If you were going to put piping on your quilt, what kind of cord would you use? Seems cotton would shrink and draw the quilt up? BTW, I would be making my own. Any suggestions?

Power Poster
    It depends on how big you want the piping to be and where you want to put it. Is it going on the edge by the binding? I like to use Charisma's tutorial on Quick machine binding with flange for a little pop of colour at the binding. I think "rat tail" cord might work? It is the shiny stuff that is used for draw strings. You might look at Venetian blind or Roman shade cord?

Rattail cord is recommended because it provides a firm edge and is less likely to get caught by the zipper foot when you make the piping. It's used for piping on clothing and home dec items and wouldn't shrink any more on a quilt than it would on anything else.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I was just looking at the class catalogue for the Quilt Festival in Houston, and there's a class, #376 -- Piping Triple Play on Wednesday, 10/30 in the afternoon. I put it down as a second choice for that afternoon.

I completely re-upholstered a love seat -- it had been in my office for years. The fabric covering it was hideous. I recovered everything, from the wood and springs out. You can buy the cord, encasing the cord in your fabric. You would want to use a much smaller size cord than I did for this piece of furniture, but the piping itself is easy to make. I cut my fabric and pinned it around the cord. Then, using a zipper foot I stitched the fabric around the cord, using the zipper foot to keep the fabric firmly around the cord. It's a neat trick and doesn't really take a lot of genius to do it! After all, I am a complete amateur at quilting, but I've been blessed with the ability to sew and come up with ideas (sometimes!LOL)

Good luck with your quilt! Someone may have much better ideas than mine! This is just my two cents worth!!

Jeanette Frantz

I was wanting to put a roll of piping between the quilt and the border then do the flange binding on the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
    If you were going to put piping on your quilt, what kind of cord would you use? Seems cotton would shrink and draw the quilt up? BTW, I would be making my own. Any suggestions?
    I used a fine cord I got from JHittle.com. I think it was called piping cord but I'm not positive. The instructions say to pin the cord out on your ironing board and steam it to shrink it before you use it.

I bought Susan Cleveland's "Piping Hot Binding Tool", and haven't used it yet, but she uses and recommends drapery cording. It won't shrink as much as cotton, but she still recommends pre-shrinking it by steaming it with steam from an iron. She says to pin one end of it to the ironing board cover and keep it straight while steaming it (don't allow it to curl up), but don't stretch it. Hope this Helps.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
    I bought Susan Cleveland's "Piping Hot Binding Tool", and haven't used it yet, but she uses and recommends drapery cording. It won't shrink as much as cotton, but she still recommends pre-shrinking it by steaming it with steam from an iron. She says to pin one end of it to the ironing board cover and keep it straight while steaming it (don't allow it to curl up), but don't stretch it. Hope this Helps.
    I hope you can find a refill for the cording. Every quilt store here had the kit, but no way of getting extra piping if you wanted more.

I don't even bother with the cord. I just use 1" strips of fabric, fold them in half, and sew them to the border with a 1/4" seam. Looks just like cording without the hassle.

I bought the Piping Hot Binding Tool as well, and find that using the piping foot for my machine, adjusting the needle position to make it as tight as possible to the cording while sewing, then using the piping tool to trim results in really nice piping. I use the piping foot when I sew it onto the base fabric too as it really helps with alignment.
    For refills of the piping, I used drapery cording as it comes in various diameters to suit multiple purposes.
    Good luck, post pics when you're done!
    GEMRM

Here's a link to Nancy's Notions http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...2.2+yd+pkg+.do for fusible piping.
    Last edited by Cybrarian; 07-26-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
    I hope you can find a refill for the cording. Every quilt store here had the kit, but no way of getting extra piping if you wanted more.
    I bought some drapery cording at JoAnn's which was not exactly the same diameter, but very close, so it should work. Now if I can only find where I put it, I'll be ok....

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
    Here's a link to Nancy's Notions http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/3-16%22+wrap+'n+fuse+piping+2.2+yd+pkg+.do for fusible piping.
    The original link posted didn't work for me, but the new one above does....go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
    You can get the exact same cording that comes with the Piping Hot Binding book at Jhittle.com.