Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Police >

Quilt Police

Quilt Police

Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Quilters,myself included, are notorious for pointing out their mistakes. We need to overcome that.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by iluvquilts
Are you your own worst quilt police? I was - but am truly trying to love my own work more and more.

Cindy
I subscribe to the Japanese philosophy (at least as it was explained to me). "Nothing is perfect. We strive for perfection but ALWAYS include one flaw in everything we do to show humility."

Sometimes I even include more than one just to make everyone feel better and show how truly humble I can be.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 AM

I am my own Quilt Police... but I'm on the Take!
LOL
Sorcha
Old 10-14-2010, 03:56 AM

When one of them plays quilt police, the way to quiet her down is to reply "maybe when I'm your age,I'll have time to hand quilt".I'm already her age & believe me, the QP are everywhere.
My "mistakes" are places where I put a non perfect block to keep me humble.That's my story :-D

Originally Posted by e4
I don't worry so much about the quilt police, but we have several women in our guild who ALWAYS ask if something was hand quilted and sigh when the maker says no it was machine quilted. Another ALWAYS asks to see the back and comments on the quilting (not always nicely). I find it very annoying because I like machine quilting, understand that a number of quilts were machine quilted in the late 1800s to show that you had the money to buy a machine, and find it inappropriate that they always have to imply that hand quilting is somehow seen as "better" than machine quilting. I finally got so annoyed at the woman who asks to see the back of every quilt that I said no to her at the last guild meeting. I said I wanted people to focus on the front of the quilt (after all people don't turn the painting around to look at the back).
Old 10-14-2010, 03:58 AM

Theres only one Person that has made a beautiful quilt(tapestry) and there is no mistakes! anyone know who?

I would love to get that story again, its worth reading again.

Yeah I am my own "quilt police" but since I have been reading all of your mails and so on, you have had me learn the ten foot rule, and that one about riding a fast horse, still makes me laugh. but I am learning not to be hard on myself.
If the Amish do those beautiful quilts and purposely make mistakes, so what better are we? I am getting better at making the quilts, but the mistake, well anyway!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 AM

I police my own, but my family and friends always tell me I am too critical, I guess it is the Virgo part of me coming out.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:51 AM

The nationally known quilter, Sharon Carig, says, "so what if I have a point or two chopped off. If it bothers the person looking at my quilt, that is their problem. I have a finished quilt!" And as the Amish say, "Only God is perfect."
Old 10-14-2010, 05:57 AM

It's sort of like Rock Paper Scissors - ONLY it's Quilt Police vs Quilt Love and Quilt Love ALWAYS wins!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 06:23 AM

I can be. But you know, if I make a mistake I'll let myself off with a warning. lol.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:25 AM

I too am my own quilt police. I have been very hard on myself, and it was'nt until I made a post, showing the start of my bagello. I was told by many that I was too hard on myself. DH tells me that I am doing really well, and that the quilts I make look great.
I just wrote my youngest sister. I will be making her a quilt down the line. I asked her color preference and if she had any idea of what she might like, floral, oceans, desert...
She said both her and DH love blue, like oceans and sky. I have looked around and have not found anything that really catches my eye. I wrote back and asked her for, what else she might be interested in. She wrote back, and said, you have a good eye for color. I know whatever you come up with will be beautiful and is made with lots of love.
What better encouragement can a gal ask for