Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt proportions >

Quilt proportions

Quilt proportions

Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Quilt proportions

I'm an inexperienced quilter. I'm working on a quilt top and some pieces I bought at an estate sale. I was unsure of what to do with it, but, with the help of the board, I've worked that out. It's not "square" enough to cut into squares and sash, which was my first choice. (I just finished a sashed top that was difficult to get the sashing to meet correctly and am not ready for another one.) So, I'm going to add the extra pieces to the bottom to make a lap quilt.

Now, the proportions question. The pieced width will be 43 inches wide when trimmed. 43 inches X 1.618 is 70 inches. So, is that what should be the best length? I plan to add three borders - red, white and blue. In which order would you do the colors? Most websites I've found base the border size(s) on the block size. I don't have a block, so how do you choose the best width for the border?

If I go with about 70", I'll need to add the left overs plus one more row. I have lots of reds in my stash that will mix in very well and one navy blue check. There's a lot of blue in the left hand end and in the left over over pieces. If I unsew the the large piece about 2/3 of the way toward the right (where it seems to be mostly red) and add in the extra rows there, would that be enough to balance the red/blue out some? Would you do it some other way (that doesn't involve too much more unsewing)?

bkay
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1136.jpg   dsc_1141.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

A lot of quilts end up being the size of the amount of fabric available.

I think I would just bind it off with a solid red or blue and not fret about borders.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Banned

Don't "over-think" it. Just go with what you have. It will be fine. No such thing as a standard size for quilts anyway. (Shut up, Quilt Police!)
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

i agree with the others, make it with what you have
Old 04-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

Once you cut off the overhanging bits, your top will have a nice ratio (width/length). Whatever border size you decide, do the same all the way around and you'll be golden. I would go with a triple border of 2" white, 4" red, 6" blue.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:52 PM

Don't try to fit the centre dimensions to an arbitrary ratio; instead, consider the finished dimensions of your quilt, and how that will work for the quilt's purpose.

I like MadQuilter's suggestion of white/red/blue for the border order. If you use her border dimensions, you will have a 12" border all around. With a 43x70" centre, that will make your final quilt 67" x 94". To me, 94" is way too long for a throw (almost 8 feet!). In other discussions, people have said they like throws to be 65-80" long, so I would aim for that range. Subtract your border widths from a comfortable length to determine the length of your centre.

To figure out a good throw quilt size, find a blanket you like and sit on the couch with it. Is it too big? Too small? Too wide/narrow? Too long/short? Try starting with a blanket that is a bit big, and folding back the edges until you get a size you like. Then measure it, and aim for that size (+/- 6 inches) in your finished quilt.

Your quilt will be lovely no matter what dimensions you choose. Don't overthink it - enjoy the process of making it!
Old 04-25-2017, 05:10 PM

I agree with many of the other suggestions you've received but here's my suggestion.

First, fold under your unfinished edges of the quilt to give you a square/rectangle without the uneven edges. Then, start with madquilter's suggestions as to color/proportion. You say you have lots of red in your stash.

Fold your red into the 2" width and lay next to your quilt. If you have a FQ of blue and/or white - fold that to the 4" / 6" widths and lay those next to the red. Play with those colors/proportions. Take photos. Then, play with the color placement. Take more photos. Then, play with with proportions/colors in different positions. Take more photos. You will not remember which you like best without having the photos side by side.

You might like a 1"; 3" 6" or 9" variation. Play with it for a while. If you have enough fabric, fold it and place it on both edges of the corner to get a better view. It could be mitered or not. Just go for color/placement/proportion at this point. Study each or a bit. It will speak to you.

As another poster mentioned - there are no quilt police. Do what is pleasing to you.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:41 AM

My quilts are the size I make them. Sometimes that is dependent on the amount of material I have, the size that I can make the backing, what it's for, how tall the person I'm making it for, etc. I want my quilts to be functional and pleasing to the eye. Beyond that I don't worry about size being proper.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:28 AM

Have you ever heard of the Golden Mean? It has to do with the relationship of the measurement of the width and length of things. Think of a 3 X 5 card, or a 4 X 6 picture. Larger pictures 8 X 10, 12 X 14, etc. If you saw a quilt that was 30 X 80, you would say that looked quite odd. Wall hangings can be long and thin, or short and fat, but most quilts need to be the shape of beds, which are square or something close to a Golden Mean.

We had a thread on here a few days ago that discussed the Fibonacci Sequence. It also had a discussion of the Golden Mean. Hope you can get some help from this to make your quilt "pleasing to the eye".
Old 04-26-2017, 04:40 AM
Power Poster

I would just love to see it when it's finished.