Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A quilt puzzle - do you know these people? >

A quilt puzzle - do you know these people?

A quilt puzzle - do you know these people?

Old 09-13-2022, 09:35 PM

thanks to all of you for your quick and helpful replies. I've written to the library that was recommended, will try to connect on the SAQA program tomorrow. I thought that in addition to a guild, the group also might be a Sunday School class.

The years must have some signifigance and hope to learn more about those. I'll keep you updates if and when information comes in.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Interesting that the quilt wound up in Alaska when it appears it started out in Kansas.
Trip made could have been due to the military. I had a friend that made the trip from Louisiana to Nome AK because of being transferred thru the Navy.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:37 AM

In researching these ladies via Ancestry, I discovered several interesting connections among them. At least two were Methodists, and at least two were Congregationalists. Two were sisters (Eliza Huff Dennis and Amanda Mae Huff Paxston). Two were mother and daughter (Ethlyn Wetmore, Mrs. Wetmore--Sarah E. Hughes Wetmore). A couple of the ladies were telephone operators or worked in some capacity for the phone co. Several were dressmakers or excellent seamstresses, one was a janitor in a tailoring shop--maybe her entre to quilting? Jessie Rusche's husband Frank had been a lodger in the childhood home of Margaret Shiffer. Two ladies died in 1944 (Eliza Huff Dennis and Mrs. Wetmore). Was this quilt created as a tribute to them?

In a previous post, I mistakenly said they were all in Seneca in the 1930 Census. Actually, some had moved away by then. But all had lived in Seneca or in Nemaha County at some point.

I would love to know what you learn from the library about them.