Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt for raffle >

Quilt for raffle

Quilt for raffle

Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 AM

My DIL is walking in a 3 day Susan Komen walk for the cure in October in Washington, DC and needs to raise money for the walk. I had the idea to make a quilt for her to raffle. It's a very nice quilt pattern I found online which I will stitch in pinks.

My question is - how much do we charge for raffle tickets? A friend suggested we only sell 100 tickets at $10 each, but I'm wondering if that is too high for a ticket. Anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking maybe $5 a ticket.

Here's the link to the quilt I plan to make: http://www.unitednotions.com/fp_quilt-pink-2.pdf

If anyone would like to make a couple of blocks for the quilt, I'd be very grateful. But I am willing to make it myself. Her walk is in October so I do have time to get it finished and ready for the raffle.

Thanks!
Sue (this is my first post on the board but I read these board a few times a week and thank you all for the great info I've learned here!)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board. Nice to meet you! For the Walk for the Cure I think many will pay more per ticket then a regular raffle but I know in my area $10 a ticket will not sell many.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I agree, $5 a ticket would sell better in my area too. What a great cause, I wish you much success with your raffle :D:D:D
Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 AM

I have made a quilt for our "Relay For Life" rally last year and this year. We charge $1.00 for the tickets. Last year we raised $250. I hope to do better this year. 100% of the money goes to the American Cancer Society. This is just my way of raising money. I think it would be a great way for your DIL to raise money. My avatar pic is this years quilt.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:01 AM

Sue-- We have a breast cancer awareness block swap going right now you should join us. Here is the link:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-33155-1.htm

I have one planned to donate with my blocks to the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in our area, they are excited to get the donation. I hope you join us, so far the blocks I've seen are so special and I will be proud to make a quilt with them to donate.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:25 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Hi! and Welcome! Tell your DIL that I am really proud of her. I've done three of those and they aren't easy!

As for the ticket price, it really depends on how populated your area is and how many friends and acquaintances you have that have 10 to 15 dollars to spare for a really great cause. If you sold a limited number of tickets, say 150, at $15 each, she would have her entire monies raised.

Please keep us posted on your progress...and send me a PM when the quilt is done. I'll by a ticket.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM

Thank you for the input. We live in the Toledo area and our son and DIL live in Medina, OH near Cleveland. When I came up with the idea yesterday I was hoping to maybe raise $200 or so for her but I think I may be able to raise more, now that I hear that people think we can sell tickets for more than the $1 I originally planned to charge.

Mosquitosewgirl - you did 3 of them? Wow! That's wonderful. My DIL Teri and 2 of her neighbors are participating in the walk. Her neighbor was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago when she was just 35 years old and had a double mastectomy. Thankfully she is doing great now, and has done the walk the last 2 years, and this is Teri's first year. We are very proud of them and I'm hoping this will be a good way to help them with their fundraising. Thanks for the support!
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 AM

My DD takes care of the Giving Tree at Christmas in our county. She has done this for 20 years. Started when she was 12. One year someone donated a pair of football tickets (the Packers. very hard to come by) She raffled them and made $1500! The lady that won them is a Nun at our local hospital. She in turn raffled them. She sold 250 tickets at $10 a ticket. The money went to our hospice program. They were all gone in one day. That pair of Packer tickets generated $4000 for charity!!! I'm not saying a quilt will do as well, but she should be able to make more than $200. How about 100 tickets at $5 per. Tell your DIL to make sure she gets the quilt out and seen by as many people as possible. Banks are a good place to display and most are willing to help cheritable causes.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by suzannev3
Thank you for the input. We live in the Toledo area and our son and DIL live in Medina, OH near Cleveland. When I came up with the idea yesterday I was hoping to maybe raise $200 or so for her but I think I may be able to raise more, now that I hear that people think we can sell tickets for more than the $1 I originally planned to charge.

Mosquitosewgirl - you did 3 of them? Wow! That's wonderful. My DIL Teri and 2 of her neighbors are participating in the walk. Her neighbor was diagnosed with breast cancer 4 years ago when she was just 35 years old and had a double mastectomy. Thankfully she is doing great now, and has done the walk the last 2 years, and this is Teri's first year. We are very proud of them and I'm hoping this will be a good way to help them with their fundraising. Thanks for the support!
Yup, I've done three (Mount Rainier to the Seattle Center, San Jose to San Francisco and Shakopee to St. Paul MN)...plan on doing more. It is the most amazing experience one can have.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 AM

I did a pink/white raffle quilt at the hospital where I work. We sold tickets for $5 each or 5 for $20. We made $1,000 in about 3 weeks of sales to donate to Amer Cancer Society.

Good Luck