Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt retreat gifts >

Quilt retreat gifts

Quilt retreat gifts

Old 01-21-2021, 01:05 PM

How handy! I'll not only make a few for my own storage bags, but have saved the pattern to make one for each of the future quilts I will gift.

It could be made incorporating all/some of the fabric leftovers from the gift quilt itself. That way, it would be easy to identify the contents by just a look-see on the shelf, all the while keeping the quilt protected as well-advised.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-21-2021, 06:06 PM

Those are fantastic! Your friends will love them!!
Old 01-21-2021, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have enough fabric of each bag I think I'll make the zipper bag from Missouri Star that Misty showed this week to match. I love making things for my friends. I know they can make them but seldom do for themselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP9O...arQuiltCompany
I made zipper bags as gifts for a ton of people this year (co-workers and my son's teachers). Next time I make it to the cheap zipper place I'm going to buy a ton more. Everyone liked them. I also want to make some for the local women's shelter.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jo Belmont View Post
How handy! I'll not only make a few for my own storage bags, but have saved the pattern to make one for each of the future quilts I will gift.

It could be made incorporating all/some of the fabric leftovers from the gift quilt itself. That way, it would be easy to identify the contents by just a look-see on the shelf, all the while keeping the quilt protected as well-advised.

Thanks so much!
What a great idea. Just think how lovely your linen closet will look organized like that.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:46 PM
Power Poster

I buy the pretty lace zippers at Amazon in bulk. Also there are some nice sporty ones, and modern looking ones too. Lots of fun zippers to chose from now.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:12 PM

That’s a great pattern. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:06 PM

What a great idea for your quilting friends. They won't believe you made one for each one! Very nice job!
Old 01-22-2021, 03:19 AM

Thank you One by one for the link to pattern! I like this variation with the elastic sides. Please advise: What type machine needle did you use for sewing the elastic? I think this pattern would be great for gifting baby/kids quilts. Thank you for sharing it.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:20 AM

Yes! these bags will be perfect for the beach! All my girlfriends are getting one! Thanks for posting.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

I used a 90/14 needle with 50 wt thread for the whole bag. First thing is get a good bobkin. The elastic is very tricky, it was for me the first one I made. I sewed the end of the elastic to the bag and then pulled it through to the end and sewed that down and then took it off the bobkin. I used the Clover latch botkin. Whatever you use be sure the elastic is secure on the bobkin or it will pull off in mid pull. Not a fun thing to happen. LOL I didn't do the straps like the pattern instructs. I made them like tote handles by cutting twice a wide, folding over a strip of batting, and folding again. Also you could use thick cording instead of fabric handles. Lots of variation for the bag. My first bag took a long time to make but now I can do one in about an hour.