Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Seminars >

Quilt Seminars

Quilt Seminars

Old 04-10-2021, 03:27 PM

It looks amazing - what an experience. For that much money, though, I question whether it would be worth it. Would I like the any of the techniques enough to justify spending that kind of cash? I'd be adding on a trip across the country, coming from NYS.

Earlier today, I spent a couple of hours watching a Craftsy class, Stupendous Stitches, offered by Carol Ann Waugh - one of the instructors scheduled for the 5th session. Very doable by pretty much anyone, and the price was right, lol. I have taken a landscape class and found it very challenging. Evidently, I can follow a pattern, but making my own or piecing without a pattern is way outside of my comfort zone.

Life is short. I say, if it is appealing enough to you and you can afford it, do it. Nothing will be going with us, wherever we go, when this life is over. Just being surrounded by like-minded people and seeing their work is inspiring.

As far as downsizing - I'm all about it! In housewares, clothing, shoes, etc. Fabric or supplies? Nope!
Old 04-10-2021, 07:14 PM

"And then sometimes the class is just a dud. But then Asilomar on the Monterey Penninsula is a wonderful place to spend 5 days."

This, exactly this. My husband and I would attend a conference related to his work once a year at Asilomar for a decade. Same people year after year, it was like one long party especially for the accompanying spouses. Carmel, the Carmel Valley, the Missions, Monterey, Pacific Grove, San Simeon Hearst Castle. Point Lobos Natural Reserve (so beautiful that three of us plan to have our ashes scattered there) Steinbeck country, the artichoke fields, Moss Landing. SOOO very much to see and do. One year I stumbled onto a quilt retreat taking place there. Amazing quilts displayed in a hall that looked like a church, great quilt store in place for the conference only.....inviting yes. But I told my husband I didn't think I could ever stay indoors long enough to sew. The ocean and the valleys call. PS there are sea otters visible from the beach walks. So if the classes disappoint the surroundings will make up for it.