Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: quilt shop going out of business

quilt shop going out of business

This-n-That Fabrics, an online quilt shop is closing its doors.
    All fabrics have been reduced - most are between 30 - 50% off.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing, have to check it out!
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

I find it a bit sad when businesses have to close. I worry that the less competition bigger companies have, the more we will see prices go up. I will have to check the website out, but with a tear in my eye.
    MistyMarie

Blog Entries
    It is really tough to run a shop. The overhead can be really high and costs have to be covered.
    I have to keep reminding myself that I have to try and support my LQS even though online is easy and offers more variety.
    I just talked to a shop owner that I found online and she is also planning on closing end of January. The shop is called Quilted Vine

Okay. I just ordered. My initial "want list" was over $140.00, but I was able to get it down to around $35.00. I just cannot keep buying more fabric when I have so much still to use. I see fabric and I think of all the beautiful quilts I could make, but in reality, I just don't have time to sew much right now. Bummer, because there are some absolutely LOVELY fabrics for sale.
    MistyMarie

Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
    It is really tough to run a shop. The overhead can be really high and costs have to be covered.
    I have to keep reminding myself that I have to try and support my LQS even though online is easy and offers more variety.
    I just talked to a shop owner that I found online and she is also planning on closing end of January. The shop is called Quilted Vine
    Why is she closing? Are sales that bad?
    MistyMarie

I used to feel like a buzzard, when I shopped those kinds of sales, but having a friend who had to close her shop, she told me that it is a bitter blessing to recoup some cash.

Blog Entries
    What's their web address - I did thisnthatfabrics.com but I don't see quilting fabric.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

I'll check it out too.
    Tammy

Quote Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
    What's their web address - I did thisnthatfabrics.com but I don't see quilting fabric.
    http://www.this-n-thatfabrics.com/

Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
    Their website is http://www.quiltedvine.com/
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I am sure it is hard for small on-line shops to compete with the larger stores, not only on-line, but stores like Jo-Anns and Wal-Mart. I find myself going to fabric.com, connectingthreads.com and thousandsofbolts.com more than anywhere else when I need fabric. I rarely am willing to pay full price for fabric because I know if I search around a bit, I can find it cheaper than full price. I recently needed a couple of yards of a particular fabric. I found the fabric prices ranged from $11.99 at one on-line store to $4.95 (in the clearance section of another on-line store). I obviously went with the less expensive store. Too many smaller places cannot offer their last-year's fabric for such a deep discount, but as a quilter on a budget, I don't feel bad not supporting a quilt store that charges more than another one.
    MistyMarie

I re4cently went to Organ Mountain Quilt shop and this was their last weekend in business. There were a lot of people from El Paso who shopped there. It is sad to see them go.

Have only been on QB for a month but this might be about the sixth post of yet another quilt shop closing it's door. It's just sad but with the economy the way it is, I shouldn't be so surprised.

Unhappy

Thanks for sharing, sad to hear but defintely will check it out.

Unhappy Hayloft fabrics closing

A large supplier of quilting needs in the Lancaster county, PA area closed its doors Saturday, November 5,2011. It will be greatly missed by peiople near and far. Building was sold and adequate space was not available in the short time alloted for establishing new premises. so sad!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing the link!

They have several free patterns that are really nice that I saved...will look at the fabric when have more time.

Thanks for the info. Just made an order. This was one of the shops that was on my FabShopHop list to go back and explore. I am sorry to see it go. Their shipping prices to Canada are very reasonable.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

Thanks for the info