Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt Shop Stop Suggestions for a Road Trip from Des Moines to Iowa City

Quilt Shop Stop Suggestions for a Road Trip from Des Moines to Iowa City

Planning a road trip to coincide with Quilt Show in Des Moines. Would appreciate any nuggets of information about shops along the way. Up 163 in Iowa to DM and 80 (or alternate routes), plan to stop at Amana Colonies. Back down 218 and then to Kalona. Any shops within 30 minutes of that route (give or take) that would merit a stop would be appreciated. Thanks.

Heritage Designs in Amana is a great shop. So is Rainbows and Calico Things near Williamsburg. In Kalona, The Stitch and Sew is great but just walk around there. A lot of shops in the town have a fabric corner full of quilt shop quality fabrics. They take their quilting very seriously in Kalona.

Enjoy your trip 65, Hope you get lots of bargains and goodies.

Fern Hill in South Amana has tons of batiks and Japanese taupes, as well as a lot of other fabrics. Stephanie Brandenburg's fabrics are featured there. Fern Hill is usually a vendor at the DM quilt show, so their fabric selection in the store is depleted during that time. Inspirations Quilt Shop in Hills is very nice (I have not been there, but have heard good things). Dutchman's Store in Cantril (close to the MO border) is a Mennonite general store. I have not been there, but hear it is definitely worth the trip.

There are TWO really great quilt shops in the Amana's I love them both !!
    llweezie

Hope to see you in Des Moines - I'm going on a bus trip there from South Dakota! Can hardly wait.

It is a bit of a detour, but I'd do my best to hit Pine Needles in Cedar Rapids. Very close to Iowa City.