Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt shop

Talking Quilt shop

With all the quilt shops that are closing, I thought you would like to hear about the one I go to. Right now it is in a small town about 30 miles from me. Starting April 19 they will have moved into a large store in the big city where I live. I think it is just great that they are doing so well. The owners and staff are just super people and I'm so glad that things have worked out so well for them. Right now they are having a huge sale at the store, today and tomorrow everything is 50%, Thursday and Friday everything will be 60% and Saturday things will be 70%. Needless to say I have been to the store twice this week and plan on going on Saturday. I bought 5 yard bundle for 12.50 today that I plan on sending to a friend who makes kids quilts to donate. Oh and I bought fabric for myself also, not much will wait until Saturday.

Pat in MN

Blog Entries
    that is just great! so glad you are able to support your local quilt shop!
    I quilt for my sanity!

I went to Joanne's today and haven't been in a while couldn't believe how high the prices were even with the sale. We were all talking about how high they have raised their prices. The ones I got were 14.99 per yd and $9.99 per yd. for something special. I guess I'll be doing like the others and using what they have a just buying what they have to. I wonder if the day of the stash is going to go away. Sue

Millie P's in Anoka(MN) is expanding! In a time of so many quilt shops closing this good news.

Where is the old one? And where will the new one be? (By the way Millie's new expansion is wonderful!)

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Millie P's in Anoka(MN) is expanding! In a time of so many quilt shops closing this good news.
    I love that shop!! Don't live close at all, but get there now and then!

Bev
    Our lives are like quilts....bits and pieces....joys and sorrows....stitched together with love.
    Babylock Crescendo, Elegante2, and Ellure.....for the love of sewing!

one of the quilts shops that have been opened for at least 20 yrs recently closed. I really
    liked this store and the people that worked there. I have yet to find one that can match
    the goodfriendly atmosphere of this shop. Enjoy it while its still in business.
    Denise finally in Manchester NH

It's good to hear some quilt shops are doing well! Ours is moving to a bigger place April 1st and we're really happy for them, too! They had a lovely shop in a bowling alley & I just heard about the move when I brought a friend in to visit it for the first time. We're both anxious to see the new shop! :-) I hope yours continues to flourish for years to come!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

where in MN? I live in Northfield...

Our quilt shop here in West Plains, Mo is closing. This should be their last week. Don't think it had to do with the economy. I have lived here 3 yrs. & have asked & asked for classses, new items etc. NOTHING!!! they were only open for 5 yrs. They just wouldn't try new things. I even offered to come in & give free demos in different things. Again Nothing was ever done. What a shame. As that ole saying goes," Don't cut your nose off to spite your own face. "
    Love the OLD, UGLY, & WELL LOVED

gus
    Blog Entries
    Pine Needles of Racine MN I live 8 miles from there and will miss them. Now I will have to drive the 30 miles
    Gus Olson

My local quilt shop is terrible. Their prices are way too high and the service is worse. You are fortunate to have a place close enough where you have nice people.

Gotta get it when the gettin's good!
    Love 4 stchen

I just visited a shop that opened a couple of months ago that is 25 miles from me. I went in to introduce myself and to see what they had. I am the president of our local quilt guild and invited the owner to join and asked if she had anything that she wanted me to bring to the guild about her shop. She was very nice and said that she was interested in our guild and would be happy to hand out our informational flyers. I think I've got a new friend. She gave me a handful of business cards that I can distribute to our guild and I told her that I would and will be a frequent visiter.
    Kathy Stewart from IA
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kath_stirut

I've got the day off tomorrow and sure would like to know where this shop in MN is! I've been wanting to do a shop hop on my own and it might just be within driving distance from me. Where is it, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by decky View Post
    With all the quilt shops that are closing, I thought you would like to hear about the one I go to. Right now it is in a small town about 30 miles from me. Starting April 19 they will have moved into a large store in the big city where I live. I think it is just great that they are doing so well. The owners and staff are just super people and I'm so glad that things have worked out so well for them. Right now they are having a huge sale at the store, today and tomorrow everything is 50%, Thursday and Friday everything will be 60% and Saturday things will be 70%. Needless to say I have been to the store twice this week and plan on going on Saturday. I bought 5 yard bundle for 12.50 today that I plan on sending to a friend who makes kids quilts to donate. Oh and I bought fabric for myself also, not much will wait until Saturday.

Pat in MN

Waiting to hear what shop in MN we are talking about. I love Millie P's, I also love Country Fabrics in Brainerd. I love the LQS and always make a purchase from them when I visit one. I know some people just cannot afford to make big purchases at the small shops, but they have great sample projects and very knowledgable staff. Even a small purchase helps them out. They certainly are not in it for the money.

I work very pt at Hancock Fabrics (I don't feel I am quite qualified to work at a LQS) in Woodbury, MN. Besides being a beautiful store, the prices of cotton fabrics do seem to be drastically dropping. A brand new bolt of fabric came in priced at $4.99 a yard and the quality really was decent. I was very surprised.

Local Quilt shops

I just wanted to add that it is great that us on this board believe in supporting the LQSs. I am a firm believer in this!! I only shop for fabric at LQSs and Quilt shows.
    Carolyn

Minnesota is a bit too far for me to go, but congradulation on the great news for you. Have fun shopping at their moving sale.
    Sharon (Gypsylady)

Sorry to hear that Elaine, Our LQS here in Ithaca, NY is a wonderful place to shop and all the ladies there are so knowledgeable and always want to help you or will give suggestions if you ask. There is also another very nice one about 10-15 miles south of here. I don't get there as often because of the mileage and price of gas, but they have a huge selection of fabrics and they just had a sale with 25% off everything in the store. I went and stocked up on good quality thread as my newer machine is very fussy about the thread I use.

Southern Vermont quilt heaven.

I live in a town of about 3,000 people, a mile from a wonderful shop. Within 10 miles south and west of me there are two more shops, each different in style, types of fabrics, classes, but all with good service and lovely fabrics. Oh, and there's another about 15 miles to the east in New Hampshire. Little bit of heaven here. Lots of folks come here on excursions from out of state, but many local quilters too. Sure would love to be near that sale this weekend, though!

Blog Entries
    It is great that your LQS is doing so well. The one in my small town does really well, but they also have two computerized gammils that they run all day/every day. This really helps them.
    Sadiemae

Our little town has a fairly new shop. Only open a couple of years now. It is a busy little place. Lots of classes available. Several BOM's going at all times. They make up and sell quilt kits. I have a different taste in materials than they do. However I have bought a couple of kids quilt kits. But most stores anywhere in our near our area do not do this. And the staff is friendly and helpful.

We have some great quilts shops in all directions from where I live & we're having a statewide shop hop in June. I'm looking forward to finding new hidden treasures in LQS!! I do buy some on line & if I see a piece I like in big shops like Joanns I might buy a piece, BUT somewhere along the line I realized that if we all buy online our LQS is going to disappear & with all the help I've gotten over the years & how it was classes @ them that got me quilting in the 1st place I buy mostly LQS. I shop buy things that just call to me & also shop their sales area while there. We're all going thru the bad economy maybe we can hang in there & help each other now.

I really like what you have to say. Another idea is to let families and others know that if they want to give you a gift, a gift card to the LQS is great. Last spring I helped a girl make her 8th grade graduation dress and her mom gave me a $50 card to the shop near me. I've been using it in bits and have about $4 and change left on it. It's been so great to go in and get fancy thread for quilting and a nice set of 1/2 yards of the shop hop fabric. Now how can I get another one?

Quote Originally Posted by pokeyscorner View Post
    We have some great quilts shops in all directions from where I live & we're having a statewide shop hop in June. I'm looking forward to finding new hidden treasures in LQS!! I do buy some on line & if I see a piece I like in big shops like Joanns I might buy a piece, BUT somewhere along the line I realized that if we all buy online our LQS is going to disappear & with all the help I've gotten over the years & how it was classes @ them that got me quilting in the 1st place I buy mostly LQS. I shop buy things that just call to me & also shop their sales area while there. We're all going thru the bad economy maybe we can hang in there & help each other now.