Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shops in San Francisco >

Quilt shops in San Francisco

Quilt shops in San Francisco

Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM

Default Quilt shops in San Francisco

My DD will be in San Francisco next week on a school trip and will be staying with a host family in the Excelsior area. I have tried looking for quilt shops but haven't come up with many, could anyone recommend any? If you could also let me know how far away they are from Excelsior as she is only 16 and will have to rely on her host family to take her there. Fabric is so much cheaper in the US and she would like to bring some home Thanks for any help.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

Have her host family google quilt shops in San Francisco and make sure to call and make sure they are still open.
http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc...rancisco%2C+CA
I heard that New Pieces in Berkeley is supposed to be great. I have not been there but my friends have. It is a bit of a drive but I'm sure the folks wouldn't mind.
Fabric Outlet is in the Mission District which is close to Excelsior. It gets good reviews.
Britex is a 4-story overwhelming piece of architecture that is filled from bottom to top with ALL TYPES of fabric. It's kind of overwhelming.
If they ever take your daughter on an outing, have her google quilt shops for that area and see if they can stop.

I hope she has a great time and does some successful shopping for her mom.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:55 AM

Britex is the first place that comes to mind. I love it and agree with MadQuilter it is overwhelming but she could have fun and spend several hours there. It is in Union Square - great place to visit anyway. Wish you could have come with her.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:29 AM

I found this site:

http://quiltshopscalifornia.wordpres...9/hello-world/

although the article is dated, you can still check the links.

I don't want to sound like a wet blanket, but I was disappointed with Britex - it's huge, expensive, and there is not a lot of quilting fabric. I think it might be a frustrating experience for your daughter to try to find stuff for you there.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:09 PM

Thanks for your replies, I will email them to her and once she is with her host family they could work out which one to stop at. Google really wasn't very helpful for once, but the Quilting Board, as usual, came through
I wish I could have gone with her too She is spending today (New Years Eve) at Disneyland
Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Murphy1 View Post
Britex is the first place that comes to mind. I love it and agree with MadQuilter it is overwhelming but she could have fun and spend several hours there. It is in Union Square - great place to visit anyway. Wish you could have come with her.
I was in SF for a day earlier this month, and this was one of my destinations. Unfortunately, I only had about an hour to spend there, which was about three hours short of what I could have used!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:45 AM

One of my favorites is Stone Mountain and Daughter in Berkeley.