Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt shops suggestions Manistee-Muskegon MI >

Quilt shops suggestions Manistee-Muskegon MI

Quilt shops suggestions Manistee-Muskegon MI

Old 09-20-2021, 12:54 PM

Default Quilt shops suggestions Manistee-Muskegon MI

A friend and I are planning a road trip from Manistee - Muskegon, MI. Could you recommend some must-see quilt shops along the way please. I don't know if we'll get to Grand Rapids, but we could try time permitting.

Thanks so much.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:03 PM

What fun! I'll be watching this thread, hubby and I are planning a road trip back home from Seattle to Grand Rapids next year. Will be a family visit and not a fabric buying trip, but things happen. Currently we are considering taking the ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee on the trip back.

I don't know much about the quilt shop suggestions in the area (will be watching this thread!) but I often find the odd fabrics I'm looking for on-line at Fields Fabrics which just happens to be in the area.
https://fieldsfabrics.com/locations

Old 09-20-2021, 06:45 PM

Do a search for quilt shops in west MI. There are a few around Muskegon/Grand Haven. I just returned a few weeks ago but was unable to visit many shops. 3 adults & 1 car limit traveling. There is a great shop in Newaygo called The New Ewe. It has quilting fabric & some wonderful yarn. Always visit when I go to MI & do some major damage there.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:35 AM

ICEBLOSSOM,

What part of MI will you be visiting? There are a number of quilt shops in the southern part of the lower peninsula, where the population is greater. The Upper Peninsula has a few nice shops on the west side. I've been to Green Bay, WI and there are many shops in the area.

In my search along Lake Michigan southward, there are a number of shops that are now closed.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
Do a search for quilt shops in west MI. There are a few around Muskegon/Grand Haven. I just returned a few weeks ago but was unable to visit many shops. 3 adults & 1 car limit traveling. There is a great shop in Newaygo called The New Ewe. It has quilting fabric & some wonderful yarn. Always visit when I go to MI & do some major damage there.
In my last search, I found that a number of shops have closed.

AbbiMays is on my list. It's my destination shop.

Thanks for the tip on the New Ewe. I'll add it to my list!
Old 09-21-2021, 03:34 AM

Hubby's mom lives in Grand Rapids and I had hoped that this year I'd be able to go to the AQS show in Grand Rapids, but it was cancelled (again) due to Covid. Maybe next year! I will be taking quilt-related trips out there but this one involves husbands and dogs and is more about travel than fabric.

We have our dates and route there pretty well picked out. Trip will be in May, the two weeks before Memorial Day Weekend (we will be home recovering on the actual weekend). We'll start out on I-90 which would take us most of the way there, but will drop to see Mt Rushmore following a lower route to Peoria, IL area before heading back up the lake towards Grand Rapids.

On the way back, we are looking at taking the Ferry across the lake from Muskegon to Milwaukee -- mostly "just because" and that gets us easily back to I-90.
https://www.lake-express.com/schedule/

We hope to visit some friends in the Minneapolis area on the way back and today's task is to plan the way home.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:40 AM

Being a Michigan resident, all I can say is there are a HUGE number of shops to choose from. Even in the less populated, let's say north of Grand Rapids there are shops that a full of personality. As others have said do that google shops. There are four just in Muskegon. I have been to Quilted Memories in Montague but it was a few years back. If you go as far south as Holland, Pressing Matters is a lovely shop. You will have plenty to view.

Thrums, I think the notation that the store is closed is indicating their store hours. In other words, at the time of the search they are closed, not that the store is no longer in business. Have a wonderful trip of quilt shop wandering. Do let us know your favorites after your trip.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:39 PM

Default Quilt shops

Quilted Memories in Montague, Abby Mays in Muskegon, Pig Patch in Custer, are all nice shops. There's also a shop in Pentwater but I haven't been there yet. There used to be a shop in Whitehall but I don't remember the name of it and I have no idea if it is still there. Field's Fabrics is in Spring Lake.
If you go as far south as Holland, Pressing Matters is well worth the visit and if you get to Grand Rapids Attic Window is one of my favorites.

Last edited by FGlinda; 09-22-2021 at 04:46 PM. Reason: more info to add
Old 09-23-2021, 05:30 PM

I would definitely do a google search for quilt shops. I personally like to visit Quilted Memories in Montague, Abbi Mays in Muskegon, Fanna's Mercantile in Hesperia, New Ewe in Newaygo, and Fabric Peddler in Baldwin. I still haven't visited but they are on my list to visit Creative Loop in Big Rapids and Pig Patch Farm Quilts in Custer.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:08 PM

This is great! I'll be in MI again next Aug. & I'll have more places to visit. Of course, fingers crossed, the AQS show will happen as planned that week.