Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt show and broken toe

My biggest event of the year is coming up - the Machine Quilter's Showcase in Overland Park, Kansas - and I broke a toe yesterday. And I do mean BROKE it. I was vacuuming in my barefeet, got tangled up in the vacuum cord, tripped and almost torn the toe next to my big toe completely off. The pain was so intense that I passed out a couple of times before I could get husband's attention to help me. Trip to the emergency room varified that it was indeed broken. Got it taped between two other toes, a nice little hard bottom shoe to wear and started home when I remembered I had an appointment for a haircut and perm. Now we ladies know what is important! So I had my husband drive me to my hair appointment and sit there and wait an hour and a half while my hairdresser tried her best to make me beautiful again. But next Thursday I have plans to attend MQS. Its about a two hour drive one way for me. I missed it last year so really, really want to go. I keep thinking I can get a wheelchair as I can't walk very far before my foot starts swelling again, but I hate the thought of trying to maneuver a wheelchair through the crowds of people. Many times I have moved over and let a person in a wheelchair pass by or get ahead of me for a better view at a booth, but I don't want to be the person who others need to make room for or make give special treatment. I have two wonderful friends who insist that I still go, and they will make sure I'm taken care of. But if they are taking care of me they might not get to see everything they want to see. We are only going for one day and its a huge show with lots of vendors. What are your thoughts? Would you go ahead and go?

Blog Entries
    I would :D:D:D Your friends have offered to help, so go and enjoy the show :D:D:D

Power Poster
    Sorry about the broken toe. That can really hurt. Glad you got it taken care of.

Don't know what to tell you about attending the quilt show. I don't tolerate pain very well.

I would! By that time the swelling may be down. I suggest that you rent or borrow a walker or cain. That way you can take some of the pressure off that foot at times. Have fun! Wish I could go with you and help! I've never been to a big quilt show. :)

I went to my local guilds show this past weekend and we brought a wheelchair with us. I used it for a short time and my friend, who had a knee replacement in Feb used it most of the time. I am borrowing the chair to go to Disneyland on Monday because I cannot walk. I have a torn meniscus and am scheduled for surgery on the 25th
    That being said, I have a quilt run coming up on the first weekend in June. I am pretty sure that I will not be able to make it. It is much harder to get in and out of a car and 13 quilt shops than to just go somewhere and stay.
    It gives you a new perspective to be in a wheel chair, I was in one to go to Sea Word last month and like I said, gives you a new perspective. If your friends are willing to help push you around I say go. You can probably get out of the chair to see close ups for short spurts of standing and walking. It's the being on your feet and walking all day that I cannot do.

Blog Entries
    You give, and give and give. You do things for others. It makes others feel good to be able to give back to you. If you feel you can hold up to the trip and that it will be a pleasurable experience you should go and let your friends give back to you what you have given.
    Just think "your wheel chair will give them a front row pass".
    You know what you can and can not stand up to right now. You will make the decision that is best for you.

First, sorry that you are hurt! I hope it mends quickly.

I would go. I think it would make you feel good. And maybe by then yu will be used to the boot.

Kyia

Blog Entries
    I say go for it ! You should be feeling better . Take the wheelchair and when your foot gets sore or swollen , use the chair to rest. Just because you have it with you doesn't mean you have to use it, or use it all the time :wink:

Blog Entries
    And you can load that wheelchair up with all the goodies that you buy!!!

Sorry about your toe! Hope it is feeling better by quilt show time.
    Yes, diffentely go!! Have your friends help you, if they feel they are missing anything, let each on wander on their own for an hour or so. Enjoy yourself and don't worry about imposing on your friends, you know you would do the same for them.

Blog Entries
    Most definitely I think you should go. Sounds like you have two very good friends that are willing to help. By the time you go next week, you should be feeling somewhat better and that will help. Don't miss out - definitely go!

Sorry about the toe!

I say go also. Painkillers cannot compete with fabric. It's what the doctor ordered.

Seriously, there's nothing wrong with using the wheelchair route. I'm inspired to see others out and about with whatever limitations they have. They won't let obstacles keep them from doing the things they love. It's kinda the rest of us that can be rude by not being as accommodating with adjusting ourselves to their needs and circumstances.

I hope you go and have a great time!

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better already. Being encouraged to go to the quilt show (even in a wheelchair) really helps. I believe I'll call the convention center and see if they have chairs to rent, if not, I'll call my local homehealth center and check on one. Thanks everyone!!

Power Poster
    besides, being among the disabled is very educational

opens ones eyes to a whole new perspective of being

Blog Entries
    ..... and THAT is why the sign in my kitchen reads: "Housework won't kill me - but I'm not taking any chances!" Hope the toe feels better soon.

Go! A rolling walker with a seat and a basket might be your best bet. You could walk on your own and turn around and get out of traffic, sit and rest then go again. I have both wheelchair and walker and prefer walker if well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by pennijanine
    And you can load that wheelchair up with all the goodies that you buy!!!

That's what I was thinking too! Hang tote bags on the handles, hold things in your lap. Your firends will probably be glad to load you up, in more ways than one. Go, with painkillers on hand.

Pam
    Check with your local medical supplier, maybe you can rent a knee walker. It is for people with one bad foot, a little sling holds your knee and you just push it along. It even has hand breaks, now I have to admit, if I saw some poor curly haired wonam racing down hill, on an out of control knee walker, I would wet myself laughing.

OK, back to the present, you would have all of your mobility, but not have to use your foot!

Blog Entries
    I take my mother to quilt shows..and she rides in a wheel chair. I bought one that is light weight...easy to move around. I put a huge tote bag on the handles..then use electical ties to attache it. When we get to a booth that she would like to see ..she uses her cane and walks the booth...then returns to the chair. We put all her packages in the tote..and the cane fits in there too. We buzz the show all day long..she gets to admire the quilts and fabric..It is a great mother daughter day. I hope you go to the show..ride the chair..and have a great time.

JJs
    Banned
    do you wear glasses?
    I do, and a hearing aid... and I have spinal cysts and degenerative disc disease that makes prolonged walking/standing excruciating... I have a walker with wheels and a SEAT (available at your local walmart/rite aid/cvs etc for reasonable prices).... and you can get a wheel chair for $99 - a fold up kind - you don't have to have a 'regular' wheel chair...
    you are injured and temporarily disabled - why not use the chair or walker?
    If your hearing fails are you going to be one of those people who refuse to wear a hearing aid? - I LOVE mine! I've worn glasses since grade school....
    Go to the quilt show, use any aids that you need, ENJOY yourself and DON'T APOLOGIZE...
    geez, don't make me come over there...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I went to my local guilds show this past weekend and we brought a wheelchair with us. I used it for a short time and my friend, who had a knee replacement in Feb used it most of the time. I am borrowing the chair to go to Disneyland on Monday because I cannot walk. I have a torn meniscus and am scheduled for surgery on the 25th
    That being said, I have a quilt run coming up on the first weekend in June. I am pretty sure that I will not be able to make it. It is much harder to get in and out of a car and 13 quilt shops than to just go somewhere and stay.
    It gives you a new perspective to be in a wheel chair, I was in one to go to Sea Word last month and like I said, gives you a new perspective. If your friends are willing to help push you around I say go. You can probably get out of the chair to see close ups for short spurts of standing and walking. It's the being on your feet and walking all day that I cannot do.
    Can you rent a scooter for the day? That would be motorized and you can move it yourself and leave your friends free to look. I don't know what resources you have there but you might check out a Medical store and see if they rent any or maybe if you knew anyone who had one you could borrow. My DH has a scooter (similar to a 4 wheeler but not as big) And my MIL used to use one too.

There is no shame in using a wheelchair or scooter and making people move out of your way!!! You get the best view that way!!! Go for it!

Go for it. Why miss it again this year. Let your friends help you.

I took my Mom to the IQS Show in Rosemont last month, and rented her a wheelchair. I worked out pretty good...Some of the booths I didn't dare enter with the chair. So some we parked it and she went to look at what she wanted. When we were looking at the quilts, we did get a bit better view because I was able to push her up pretty close.
    Just make sure that you have a tote bag with longer handles so that you can attach to the back of the chair.
    If you don't know how to control one of the motorized carts, I really don't know if it is such a good idea in the crowds....you will have to judge. I didn't get it for Mom because I knew it would make her nervous trying to drive it in the crowds.

I am sure you do feel better after all the encouragement you receive from your quilting friends here.....yes, you should go and just a suggestion if your husband is a veteran you are eligible to call the Am. Legion/Legion of Foreign Wars to have use of a wheelchair at no cost. Have a fun day :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
    Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better already. Being encouraged to go to the quilt show (even in a wheelchair) really helps. I believe I'll call the convention center and see if they have chairs to rent, if not, I'll call my local homehealth center and check on one. Thanks everyone!!

I hope you go and let your friends help you navigate.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast