Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Show....Go or stay home & quilt? >

Quilt Show....Go or stay home & quilt?

Quilt Show....Go or stay home & quilt?

Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 AM

Go...you can quilt when you get home or another time...You may find something you truly cannot live without at the show. My daughter and I drive for hours to make sure we get to the Houston Festival Quilt Show every year...no matter what!
Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 AM

I think it depends. The gas, and the money you spend on whatever buy, including lunch out, may be more than you want to spend. So, if money isn't any object, then, seriously think about going (though I've never been to a show and would like to go to one), but if money is tight, then just stay home---there is inspiration around you everywhere these days.

"There will always be another sale." That's my motto--the companies really want your money. Don't sweat it if you decide not to go.

That saying, I've been sitting at home sewing this afternoon thinking that I'd love to go to a quilt show somewhere, sometime (a really good one), but wondered if I'll ever be able to afford one. I'd have to go internationally, probably and doubt I could afford the ticket, hotel, etc. Then, if I did all that, I'd probably not have any money to buy anything at the show, and for me, that would be more frustrating that just staying at home!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:16 PM

I really wanted to go, but that's a 4 1/2 drive for me. I am in waaaay south GA. I hope you went and enjoyed the show. I know the one in Jacksonville always inspires me!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Quilt shows are always fun and inspiring. I go when ever I get the chance. GO GO. Have fun.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 AM

I went to that GA quilt show - the one in Duluth.. and had a blast. I got to see lots of goodies in action, came home with oodles of things including two machines
I loved their color path project and the houses. Next year's challenge quilt is "20" I'm already planning that one out. I think I'm going to enter one next year. It would be cool knowing my quilt could tour the country.

It was a 3 /12 - 4 hour drive for me but I'm glad I went. I had a great day. Next show will be Paducah for me... unless there are some smaller ones closer.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 PM

Don't keep us in suspense! What machines did you buy?
Old 10-21-2012, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Don't keep us in suspense! What machines did you buy?

lol. sorry about that. I didn't mean to leave you hanging. I bought a Juki 2000 (I originally wanted the 2010 but decided that since I wouldn't be using it for quilting often the extra tension adjustments weren't really that important to me) and a Tin Lizzie sit down. I went there thinking I'd be leaving with the HQ Sweet 16 but after test sewing both machines I really preferred the Lizzie - and the difference in the cost between the HQS16 and the Lizzie covered the cost of the Juki for me
The Juki is here with me now and the Lizzie will be arriving in a few weeks - hopefully not too many weeks away since I've got things I want to quilt
Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Wow, what sewing machine riches! I'm really happy for you. What were you using before the new Juki?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

i would go i love quilt shows
Old 10-21-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Wow, what sewing machine riches! I'm really happy for you. What were you using before the new Juki?

I got them both for the same price as the HQ. Had I decided on the HQ, I would not have gone home with the Juki. It would have waited until next year.
I've been using a Janome 4900qc which is a very nice machine but after stitching on the Juki, I really really wanted that stitch quality. I feel like I just stepped up to a Cadillac and am going to drive the 'vette on special occasions... like when I need a free arm or anything more than a straight stitch...
Now to make a table for my machine to sit in and I'll be a happy happy quilter