Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Shrinkage after washing >

Quilt Shrinkage after washing

Quilt Shrinkage after washing

Old 03-19-2023, 07:53 AM

I have had certain fabrics shrink more than others. I could not figure out why some of my four patches in a mystery scrap quilt were all a bit smaller than they should be. Then I noticed that one fabric was in the ones that was too small. It was a modern fabric from a local quilt shop from a well known designer. I figured out that when I was steam pressing the four patches, it shrunk that one fabric.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:36 AM

I seem to remember someone linking to an article about this; the author had compared shrinkage results of a quilt with unwashed fabric and batting to one made with pre-washed, and as you would expect, the quilt made with pre-washed elements shrunk much less. Unfortunately, I don't know how to direct you to find that discussion.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:15 AM

Just Get It Done Quilts-Shrinkage Discussion

This video by Karen Brown of Just Get It Done Quilts may help. She shows 3 different quilts and how much each quilt shrinks after washing.

There's a short discussion here.
That's not the size I made it.

Last edited by Stitches23; 03-19-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:31 AM

I have never made a quilt for anyone for money, instead only making them as gifts for my family. I love making quilts, mostly bed size, but I'm afraid that if I even start to make one (hired out), it will lose the fun appeal. So, I'm just going to stick with what I have been doing.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 03-19-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:40 AM

Thinking out of the box here. Depending on the pattern, could she make it too big, wash and dry it several times, remove the binding and then trim to the size she needs? This would work well if she has a border. But I don't think it would without a border.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:09 AM

You really dodged the bullet on this one. There is no way she is going to be happy. I have an antique bed - even have the metal box springs from 1860's. (The feather mattress is long gone - it had more lumps so sleeping on it was like sleeping outside on rocks.). I can't imagine why she has it so high. Sounds like she will need a King size quilt to cover that much mattress, but feathers settle, so that will alter what she wants. It's just sounds like she is asking the impossible.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
You really dodged the bullet on this one. There is no way she is going to be happy. I have an antique bed - even have the metal box springs from 1860's. (The feather mattress is long gone - it had more lumps so sleeping on it was like sleeping outside on rocks.). I can't imagine why she has it so high. Sounds like she will need a King size quilt to cover that much mattress, but feathers settle, so that will alter what she wants. It's just sounds like she is asking the impossible.
So true. (sorry for the past post edit, but thought I was going into it too much, since I decided to decline making it.) In this forum, if you don't edit right away, you can't change your mind and edit later, so I just decided to edit it out while I still could.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 03-19-2023 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I so agree. She doesn't really know if what she wants is even possible and will never be happy. I don't make quilts for others to spec either. I make them, if they come out good and look like something someone I know will like. I give it to them. Makes me life so much easier.