Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt sleeve

Blog Entries

Question Quilt sleeve

What is the preferred method of attaching a quilt sleeve? Attaching before you do the binding or after the quilt is completely finished? Is one method better than the other?

Blog Entries
    I would love to attach the sleeve before the binding but i usually forget.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Usually after you're finished. Unless you don't do any quilting in the border where it's going to be attached. If you attach first, then quilt - the sleeve is rendered useless.
    The one who dies with the most fabric wins.

Power Poster
    It is a personal preference question. The advantage of machine sewing it into the binding is that it is very secure and you have less hand sewing. The disadvantage is that the sleeve is permanent unless you want to take out the hand sewn bottom edge, take out the hand sewn binding edge and cut off the sleeve. Then you can restitch the binding down. I personally don't like a sleeve on a bed quilt but that is just my opinion. It is less noticeable if you match the 4 inch sleeve to the backing material.

I usually add them after I do the binding. The reason is that I want the sleeve to be just a bit lower than the binding, so that when the rod is inserted it won't bring the sleeve up over the top of the quilt. The reason this might happen is that the sleeve needs to be a little full in case the rod is fat.

I like to machine sew mine into the binding. I just feel it is more secure. I never put a sleeve on a bed quilt.

Do it however you like if it's for personal use only. If it stands any chance of being 'entered' anywhere, set it down an inch or so and include some slack in the opening. http://wwwbluemoonriver.blogspot.com...lt-sleeve.html
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    Depending on how big the quilt is I use two methods. For large quilts I add a sleeve before the binding. Makes it very neat and only one seam to be hand tacked down. For smaller quilts -
    I cut two squares half the size of the width of the quilt.
    I press them in half to make two triangles.
    Place each triangle in the upper corners of the quilt with the raw edges to the outside edge of the quilt.
    baste stitch the raw edges in place with an 1/8" seam.
    Add your regular binding.

Now you have triangles in the upper corners which look like upside down pockets.
    Measure the width across the quilt from just inside the finished binding and cut a piece of sturdy-ish cardboard the width of this measurement and the depth of the pocket. slip the cardboard into the pockets.

Find two tacks. Put the quilt on the wall where you want to hang it.
    Slip your hand into one of the pockets behind the cardboard and push the tack through the cardboard and pocket into the wall. Repeat the other side.

The quilt will lay flat and it is easy to get it level with only two little tack holes in the wall!

I love this method.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

ube quilting that is so smart!!! I have not seen this method described before, but I know I will use this on at least some smaller pieces I have planned. Thanks for posting!