Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt for small camper >

Quilt for small camper

Quilt for small camper

Old 09-05-2014, 05:55 AM

Default Quilt for small camper

My husband and I have been wanting to get back in to camping and traveling to different state parks. We are both retired and last year sold our 40' motor home, as it was just too big and costly to just take off for a couple of days. And you really don't "camp" in a 40' ft motor home!!!!!!! We just purchased a small travel trailer and he wants me to make a "camping/outdoor" look quilt for the queen size bed that is in there. I have been searching online at several different fabrics. bugfabric.com has many. I don't usually go for dark fabrics or very light fabrics and it seems all the ones we are finding are dark and very busy, lots of big animals, birds, waterfalls, mountains.....not really sure I want those. I am leaning more towards the little campers, camp fires, boats....that sort of thing.
I need suggestions on what pattern to use with some of these very colorful and sometimes "wild" looking fabrics. I haven't actually picked out which ones I will use yet but am hoping for some pics of any you may have done so that I can get some ideas.......................thank you all so much!!!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:59 AM

I made a raggy quilt for my husband -- it was flannel and had wildlife, plaids and stripes. It would fit into the camping style and be warm to boot. Good luck picking a pattern! Have fun with your new camper.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 AM

I made a couple of quilts for the twin beds in our cabin. I had a bunch of outdoorsy fabric that I used. I bought it on a whim when we got the cabin thinking I'd make this wonderful quilt. These aren't wonderful but they were easy and used up that fabric that would have gone to waste otherwise. I did make curtains for our other cabin with a great batik with moose all over the fabric. I liked those a lot. We sold that cabin and I never took a picture of those.
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
Old 09-05-2014, 06:25 AM

I would pick some of the fabrics you are talking about and add some batiks it mellow it out. With the batiks, you can create sky, water, grass, butterflies or whatever you want. Or use the woodsy fabrics as the centers of big stars and pick some coordinating fabrics for the points, Or, make a quilt with an 8 or 10 inch wide cut that goes all the way across the width of the bed, or at least the top. Alternate with a calm smaller separator strip, then put in another wider strip of a different fabric or even the same. This was one I did with some grass fabric. I love how it turned out. This one is only one width of the fabric for each band, so you would have to do drop borders, or blocks.
Attached Thumbnails 4a-grass-quilt-sm.jpg  
Old 09-05-2014, 06:29 AM

Should have added, the BQ patterns are excellent for using focus fabrics with 2 other colors, so there is a continuity there, but you could use all these other fabrics if you choose to. This is one I did of the original BQ with some travel fabric for a friend who has cancer.

Edited to add. This quilt takes longer to cut out the pieces, especially if they are directional and you care which direction they are going, then it does to sew the top together. I've used this pattern several times. Works much better with non-directional fabric.
Attached Thumbnails 6a-bq-matt-sm.jpg  
Old 09-05-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I made a couple of quilts for the twin beds in our cabin. I had a bunch of outdoorsy fabric that I used. I bought it on a whim when we got the cabin thinking I'd make this wonderful quilt. These aren't wonderful but they were easy and used up that fabric that would have gone to waste otherwise. I did make curtains for our other cabin with a great batik with moose all over the fabric. I liked those a lot. We sold that cabin and I never took a picture of those.
I like these alot.....what is the pattern? I am a "pattern" person......can't design my own!!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I would pick some of the fabrics you are talking about and add some batiks it mellow it out. With the batiks, you can create sky, water, grass, butterflies or whatever you want. Or use the woodsy fabrics as the centers of big stars and pick some coordinating fabrics for the points, Or, make a quilt with an 8 or 10 inch wide cut that goes all the way across the width of the bed, or at least the top. Alternate with a calm smaller separator strip, then put in another wider strip of a different fabric or even the same. This was one I did with some grass fabric. I love how it turned out. This one is only one width of the fabric for each band, so you would have to do drop borders, or blocks.
Thanks Barb.....your quilt is beautiful!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I made a raggy quilt for my husband -- it was flannel and had wildlife, plaids and stripes. It would fit into the camping style and be warm to boot. Good luck picking a pattern! Have fun with your new camper.
Flannel is a good idea.......
Old 09-07-2014, 02:50 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490693[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]490694[/ATTACH]Our camping quilt is blocks that I received in a block swap & I backed it with flannel. In the mornings I sit out in my chair wrapped in it & have my coffee.... can't get any better than that.... although my quilt is very colourful..... royal colours....purple & gold.....
Attached Thumbnails swapblocks-received-small-.jpg   misc005-small-.jpg  

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 09-07-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490693[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]490694[/ATTACH]Our camping quilt is blocks that I received in a block swap & I backed it with flannel. In the mornings I sit out in my chair wrapped in it & have my coffee.... can't get any better than that.... although my quilt is very colourful..... royal colours....purple & gold.....
Beautiful colors. I also have been thinking of using flannel on the back of mine. Thanks for sharing.