Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt store prices >

Quilt store prices

Quilt store prices

Old 08-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Sticky-Iron
several here, i like the one with table salt. I've heard that works well. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Something I've learned from sad past experience:

If there is a fabric one is "absolutely in love with" - which does not happen very often for me - buy as much of it as you think you might possibly need - even at "full price" - because one may never find it again.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:11 PM

The LQS that was close to my house closed so my new LQS is about 20 miles away. There's a machine store that has quilt fabrics that are quite cheap that's closer, but I find a lot of their fabrics are also lesser quality so I usually just drive the 20 miles or wait until I'm going there for a bee. The prices are in the $10 - $15 range. Like bear if I see something I really love, I usually buy a few yards of it no matter what the price. It doesn't happen often and I feel that I'm worth and occasional splurge.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:30 PM

I have already spent my children's inheritance in LQS's. It's now a race to see what expires first, my stash or myself.
I buy little these days in any fabric store. When I work through quilting my 8 finished tops, and 4 or more unfinished tops, and see what's left, I might go searching again. t
Old 08-21-2019, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I don't buy fabrics at quilt stores. They priced out of my range years ago. I have a large stash and am using it.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
I haven't been a beloved quilt store in years, because of where I was living none were available. Now, I'm fortunate to be living near a quilt store. What is the price of fabric going for lately. I was in JoAnne's, which in my opinion is not a top of the line store. To my surprise some fabrics were $12.00 per yard for cotton quilting fabric. What's the going rate in a nice quilt store lately.
Here in So.Cal the prices average about $12 yd. Some a little more, especially backings. But most of the shops have sales regularly for one reason/occasion or the other. One of my favorites recently celebrated their anniversary date so all fabric and notions were 30% off. I enjoyed that sale I live in a semi rural area so have a drive of at least 30 minuted to any LQS. But I love the quality and just make a day of it, stopping at other stores along the way, like Home Goods.

As for JoAnn Fabrics, I generally don't purchase fabric or thread there but recently made an exception. I hadn't checked out their premium line until a friend suggested I might want to since she found the fabric to be much better quality than their so called quilter cottons. She was right! I bought a very pretty batik ($12.99yd minus 30%) and I'm not usually a batik person. It's washed up beautifully and now I've cut it up and am combining it with a stash fabric for flying geese.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:40 PM

Same price range here in Iowa as feline fanatic. I prefer to support local quilt store as much as possible we are lucky to have a lot of them in our state but some have gone out of business. If I am doing charity quilt (not QOV or some I know will be kept for a long time ie. for foster kids) I will buy at JoAnns. I always selecting for thread count first then color when shopping there.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
I have already spent my children's inheritance in LQS's. It's now a race to see what expires first, my stash or myself.
I buy little these days in any fabric store. When I work through quilting my 8 finished tops, and 4 or more unfinished tops, and see what's left, I might go searching again. t

Well, I hope it's your stash that goes first.
then i'll be happy to share mine with you.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:48 AM

I buy most of my fabric at JoAnns because I am quilting for fun or everyday use, not for prizes or heirloom quality. I can afford JoAnns and I like going there to be able to touch the fabric for the quality that I want. I have never had a problem with their fabric, even the sort that has the sparkles on it that I have used for grandchildren's quilts. They have held up well with use and laundering. Again, JoAnns carries a variety of fabrics from craft to the better quality--it's up to the shopper to find what they hope to use.
I'm disappointed in what I'm finding at WalMart nowadays though. When I began quilting, they carried so many nice pieces at affordable prices but now I see those selections becoming fewer and thinner. Those I pass on. I have heard that when Mrs. Sam passed away, that's when the fabric dept declined. She wanted that in the stores but the next generation didn't see the need. Whether that's true or not, the depts have dwindled and so has most of the quality that once was there. I still look at WM but am selective of what I purchase. I think their buyers are not those who create as there are mostly focus fabrics and not many blenders.--the "cute" stuff.
But back to the original question on going price of fabric. I think what you have found is pretty much what most fabric of any quality is running--or even higher.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:19 AM

There are many individual sites on FaceBook for someone wanting to "Destash" (sell off) some of their excess fabric. Some will sell as high as $10 per yard and others as low as $3 per yard. you have to join each site before you can buy from one of their sellers. If you check it daily and are the first to respond to an offer you can get some pretty great buys.
Other sites such as Quilt in a Day will have what they call skinny bolts and that is discounted end lots they are selling off at reasonable. Crafttown Fabrics offers an "All or none" deal quite often where they closeout their fabric. Of course on these on-line site you have to pay postage and wait a couple of days to get your order. I've never gotten a bad piece of fabric from these sites. Sometimes the color isn't quite right for what I need but it will work for something else. Good luck in your search for reasonable prices.