Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Store Quality Fabric >

Quilt Store Quality Fabric

Quilt Store Quality Fabric

Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 AM

Thank you guys for your awesome input and great points! I didn't mean to sound "uppity" myself! I was really just trying to understand if there was a difference and why one would specify something besides just "high quality quilting fabric". And yes, I absolutely agree that if you want to participate in a swap you need to follow the rules. I was not suggesting otherwise.

I've learned a lot - like I had no clue that the same LINE of fabric by the same manufacturer might have different thread counts based on the store it's sold in? Has this been verified or is it just hearsay? Seems crazy to me! I mean - how is one to know the difference, and who says at some point in the future the LQS's won't start buying this lower quality fabric if it looks the same?

Ok....back to drooling over all the fabric and quilt designs on these blogs I mentioned.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM

I too am not one of those "brand name needed" kind of girls either. I have purchased lots of fabric at many different sources. I bought some lovely pink flannel for a wholecloth baby quilt,at my local LQS, I washed and dried it, and then noticed the flaw right down the middle of the fabric. Needless to say, I won't be giving this as a baby blanket now with the flaw down the middle of the darn thing. I can cut up the fabric into blocks and salvage most of it that way, but, to say that ONLY LQS fabric is good is not true.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM

I buy what I like from where ever I choose...When the budget says Wally world, that it will be!!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I prefer good quailty brand name fabric that is caried by quilt stores. I can not always afford it and use other fabrics too that seem of good quality. I think if some one organizes a swap and it calls for LQS fabric they have a right to do so. If you do not want to buy LQS fabric then that swap is not for you.

I know on the boards it calls for good quality fabric like from LQS. This means cotton and good quality like the LQS it does not mean it has to be from there or have those brand names.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 10-09-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 AM

I find good fabrics wherever I shop, you just have to be careful and check it out good. I have found poor fabrics at LQS's as well. I was at Hobby Lobby two weeks ago and they were putting out some new fabrics that were so beautiful and the quality was really good. Came home with a bag full and will be going back for more this week.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:35 AM

I buy from several different sources. Online from J&O fabrics; local quilt shops; Joann's. It depends upon the project I am doing. Sometimes I am not as fussy about the quality as I am at other times. I do find one difference between Joann's and my local quilt shops; when I need help coordinating colors or need good suggestions, my LQS is much better. We recently had a new Joann's open near us and the selection of fabric is about half of what it was at the old location.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by rhapsdy View Post
Thank you guys for your awesome input and great points! I didn't mean to sound "uppity" myself! I was really just trying to understand if there was a difference and why one would specify something besides just "high quality quilting fabric".
Another thing to consider: A lot of blogs have paid advertising. Sometimes the blogger will promote a fabric company/line/designer because they're PAID to promote it.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 AM

Absolutely true! We have a "Valu" type store in town and they have lots of fabric. Benartex and others come to mind. You just pick and choose and I find some terrific bargains. Nothing is really terrible. I did buy a few "thin fabric" FQs which are great for piecing very small designs.

Beware of fabric snobbery!!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator

pat yourselves on the back.
this subject usually ends in a brawl.
as Mr. Grace would say, "you've all done very well."

i think we have a nice selection of perspectives now and should quit while we're ahead. LOL LOL LOL