Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: A Quilt Story

Both are beautiful.

You could not have worded it any better with you wonderful poem. You are very talented. I think the quilt turned out wonderful too. We all have to remember that "no one is pe
    rfect". So If the quilt is not perfect, that is Ok.
    I love the quilt. Isn't it great to get something and make something beautiful out of it.

It is so cool we have so such talent among us! Thanks for sharing.

The quilt is beautiful. The colours all blend together and the turquoise just brings it all together. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    Quote Originally Posted by sunflower sue
    Loved your poem !!! I don't see anything wrong with the quilt, it is very pretty !
    That is what I was trying to say...if you look really close, the points are cut off (sewed over) and many of the places don't match like in a really nice quilt. But it will still keep someone warm. :-)
    Maybe that's part of the beauty of quilting. I looked at the quilt closely and all I saw was a beautiful quilt. As the maker, we have a tendency to see "imperfections," if you will, but truly there are no imperfections in quilting. It's a beautiful craft typically done by wonderful people. I think that quilts represent warmth, comfort and love, how can there be in imperfection in and of these things? The quilt is amazingly beautiful and it doesn't matter how close you look, or how far. It's simply beautiful. I didn't even see anything that didn't line up.

Blog Entries
    Love the quilt and the poem!! Great job! :thumbup: You didn't really do it in just a couple of hours, did you? That was 'poetic license' right? :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful story and quilt. God bless.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudeWill
    Love the quilt and the poem!! Great job! :thumbup: You didn't really do it in just a couple of hours, did you? That was 'poetic license' right? :lol:
    Hi Jude, Actually, I did sew all the blocks in a couple hours (hence the little errors) but the border took more time and needless to say, as I practiced the machine quilting...that took days and much to my surprise quite a lot of thread. But 'poetic license' is good! :-D

Blog Entries
    Wow! You are good! I will never be able to sew anything together that fast, much less a quilt top! I am impressed!

May I use your poem on my next quilt? I am a perfectionist and always think everyone can see my mistakes.
    Your quilt is great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michlowe
    May I use your poem on my next quilt? I am a perfectionist and always think everyone can see my mistakes.
    Your quilt is great.
    You may... I believe in sharing...tips, recipes etc. It maes for a better world. Just post a pic of your quilt when it is finished. :-)

Lovely poem (and so true) and gorgeous quilt -- it looks planned, not like it came from the stash pile! I second the idea someone had of copying that poem and incorporating it into the quilt somehow.

Love the poem and the quilt.

I, too would like to put your poem to use. I think it would be nice in a frame on my sewing room wall. May I? I promise to give you credit.

You made an amazing quilt, and have a way with putting together words. Thank you for sharing.

MNM

love your poem. OMGosh the quilt is wonderful and any one would be delighted to get it. Just goes to show you one quilters mistakes are another quilters prizes.
    We have a block exchange in our quilting class and we all make the same square but using our own colors. Then we have a drawing and some lucky person gets the whole lot. Some are so perfect and others are not cut square and a 1/4 inch seam is not used BUT when you put them together in a quilt they somehow all become beautiful and cozy and warm.

MNM

I LOVE THE POEM AND THE QUILT. YOU DID A TERRIFIC JOB WITH THE ORPHANS. MAYBE MORE OF US SHOULD TRY AND DO THE SAME. CAN I COPY YOUR POEM AND SEND IT TO MY OTHER QUILT FRIENDS? I KNOW THEY WILL LIKE IT TOO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    Hi quilting friends,
    Somewhere on one of these topics someone was asking if it was better to make perfect quilts or just make them for practicality. It just so happens, I was looking through my stash one day and here is what came from that. I am not a perfect poet so excuse the lines if they aren’t exactly in sync. Will enclose a picture of the quilt that inspired the poem. I wanted to practice my machine quilting so just used it to experiment on, too. When I was finished, I threw it in the washing machine to get some of the stiffness out of it. Now it will be a nice enough quilt for any small child.

Dear Sandy

What a lovely quilt, and all from scraps. I'm making table runners for a craft show. May I use your idea of how to use scraps?

A QUILT STORY
    By Sandy M.

As I looked through some fabric scraps
    A friend had passed to me,
    I found a stack of quilt blocks
    As lonely as could be.

Their edges were not even
    And their sizes did not match.
    So she had tossed them in the box
    To add them to my stash.

I looked at them a minute
    And then I thought, “Why not?”
    It wouldn’t take me very long
    To sew them into blocks.

So I began to measure them
    And found that nothing matched
    But even so thought, “What the heck!”
    As my sewing plans unhatched.

Often the points might overlap
    But I did not get mad,
    For as it came together,
    It didn’t look so bad.

And just a couple hours
    Was all it really took
    And so I laid it on the bed
    To see how it would look.

Amazed, I looked and smiled
    And much to my surprise
    It really looked quite lovely
    To my wide-open eyes.

Then a thought popped in my head
    How much like it we are,
    With cut off points and crooked seams,
    From perfect we’re so far.

Yet each of us is quite unique
    And if we’re really truthful,
    If one does not look really close.
    We’re all warm, cuddly and useful.

Blog Entries
    [quote=Virginia

May I use your idea of how to use scraps?"

You are welcome to share. Thanks for asking. Anyone else may use this if they wish. :-)

Thank you !! That is a very neat (and true ) take on life itself!! You done good!!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4