Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt stretcher >

quilt stretcher

quilt stretcher

Old 07-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Joe

I was in my local thrift store today and they had this wooden contraption over by the fabrics and it was labeled quilt stretcher. I assume that it is a quilting frame. Are these used only for hand quilting?
Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Yes. I made one out of 2x4s and clamps. It can be used to pin-baste a quilt to get it ready for machine quilting. Other than that, it can be used to thread-baste a quilt for hand quilting in a hoop, or you can simply hand quilt on the stretcher frame (assuming you have enough room for it).

Found this thread that relates and has a photo:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55940-1.htm
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Yes. I made one out of 2x4s and clamps. It can be used to pin-baste a quilt to get it ready for machine quilting. Other than that, it can be used to thread-baste a quilt for hand quilting in a hoop, or you can simply hand quilt on the stretcher frame (assuming you have enough room for it).

Found this thread that relates and has a photo:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-55940-1.htm
I forgot I was on the link above, and posted an explanation. So, if you are interested, go to the QB link above and you can read what I posted.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:44 AM

Be careful! I was at a garage sale one day and they had a "quilt stretcher" that had hundreds of tiny nails protruding from it. The man tried to tell me that it had been used to dry quilts on. I told him that the only reason he thought that was because he'd never used one--that it was really a CURTAIN STRETCHER and had been used to dry sheers on. I told him that I hated helping mom put the sheers on one of those things because she always got upset when I got blood on her freshly washed curtains.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 AM
Joe

Originally Posted by raptureready
Be careful! I was at a garage sale one day and they had a "quilt stretcher" that had hundreds of tiny nails protruding from it. The man tried to tell me that it had been used to dry quilts on. I told him that the only reason he thought that was because he'd never used one--that it was really a CURTAIN STRETCHER and had been used to dry sheers on. I told him that I hated helping mom put the sheers on one of those things because she always got upset when I got blood on her freshly washed curtains.
Ouch!!
Old 07-31-2010, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
My Mom had one of those and I got pricked more than once.

:)
Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 AM

I got suckered into buying one several years ago with the same story!
I had just started quilting and had never seen a hand quilting frame!
Have sen several at estate auctions and the auctioneers call them quilt frames too!
gets them a sale!