Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt templates >

quilt templates

quilt templates

Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 AM

I think the issue we are trying to envision, maybe, is my bacon comes on cardboard or a heavy paper. no plastic.
Evelyn
Old 05-06-2014, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I can't remember the brand of bacon I used to get with the plastic pad but another item to use for templates is if your reusable grocery bags are seeing the end of their lives you can use the bottom pad for a template also. I use them to cut more bottom supports. Dollar stores also have cheap cutting boards you can use for templates.
Originally Posted by evelyn5269 View Post
I think the issue we are trying to envision, maybe, is my bacon comes on cardboard or a heavy paper. no plastic.
Evelyn
Old 05-06-2014, 07:00 AM

I know that not everyone likes them but I love the Marti Michell templates. I have done a couple of her BOMs and the acrylic templates makes it easy to cut and also fussy cut.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I haven't used templates for quite a while now. All my cutting is using rulers and rotary cutter.
I agree, I also use only standard rulers. The only template I have used is a Tri Rec Triangle.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I have used templates that I have made myself, for the quilting part of the procedure. Not sure if this is what you are talking about, or are you referring to cutting the fabric?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:18 AM

My fav is the one I am using at the moment...I have a great collection...but when it makes the job easier it is worth it...ps...love that idea about bacon plastic....oh, I have tossed them, but now I won't!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 AM

We recently had a Trunk Show from a fabulous award winning quilter who happens to live in our area. She showed some simply beyond beautiful quilts & shared her tip for templates. She prints the pattern & covers both sides with clear contact paper & trims them. She passed around a couple she had used for a large appliqued quilt & they were just like new. Could hardly believe they would hold up, I'm going to buy contact paper.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 AM

I have several templates handed down from my DM. she used heavy boxes, she even had some made of heavy brown bags. I remake the one's I use out of the plastic sheets. If I really like a pattern I make templates and put then in a ziplock bag with the pattern and file it so I can go to them when looking for a pattern and I am ready to go with it. I started quilting way before the rotary cutter so I guess that is why I love my templates. I now use my rulers over the templates for rotary cutting and a lot of the time just the ruler, both ways are good for me but I still love my templates.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:47 AM

My favorite template is the 5 inch tumbler. I have made several scrappy quilts with it. I plan to make a flag with it for July 4th later this month.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:50 AM

I did several $5 quilts through the LQS, and we used the Marti Michell templates. Hated them. About the only new template I have purchased this year is for the Dresden plate, and after I had purchased the template, I found a June Tailor shape cut that lets you cut 3 blades at a time before moving it, instead of having to move the template each time you cut.