Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt top measures >

Quilt top measures

Quilt top measures

Old 01-18-2022, 09:02 AM

The Donna Jordon method is basically what I do when I am cutting to fit. Again, go one/two blocks in for your length

The stay stitch is also a great idea, especially if you are ending up with a pieced border but even just solid. In my style of strip quilting I use a tiny stitch and I don't get much loss at the ends of rows/seams. A friend of mine was having terrible problems and when I examined her work closely, she used a huge stitch -- because it was easier to get out. I'll admit that my stitches are a pain to get out and I will do just about anything to avoid undoing -- but on the other hand, the times I needed to undo were rare, and she always had raveling seams and problems every step of her project.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:54 AM

One of the things I have learned has to do with the basic construction of the blocks. Are they cut on the grain of the fabric? The exception is strips that can be cut the width of the fabric. If you are strip piecing the grain will be set when you make your cuts. You do not want the stretch of the bias to interfere with you layout and the finished stretch that happens with comes with the bias giving you a wonky finish.