Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt tree

Would anyone be interested in joining a quilt tree? I received a letter this week from my cousin. What is involved is sending two 6 inch squares of fabric to the 3 people on the letter, plus 4 more of your choosing. I think it would be fun to see what you get and where the squares come from. I want to make sure we can keep it going so we end up with enough squares to complete a quilt. That's why I got the idea of posting it on here. If you would like to participate and would be able to mail out the squares of fabric and letters, please PM me with your name and address. I'm only supposed to send out 4 more, so if I receive more than 4 responses, I will send to the first 4 I receive.
    Thanks
    Roxanne

I think if you look into this, it's not actually "legal", rather like a chain letter. I could be wrong....

I don't think i is illegal but these very seldom work. I have tried them and people don't follow through
    Judy in Ohio

I don't see how it could be illegal. You aren't sending money, just fabric. It's no different than you guys exchanging fabric amongst yourselves. It's just a fun way to end up with a variety of fabrics to make a scrappy quilt. I was just putting it out there. No one has to do it if they don't want to.

Sorry, but I read that it is illegal.

Well, I wouldn't want to be the cause of any of you going to jail! I see on this board all the time people sending fabric to each other. You all better watch out. The police may be looking for you.

Blog Entries
    I received a similar letter from a friend so thot "what the heck". Well. I never did receive any fabric and neither did she. I don't think the person SHE got it from got fabric either. So! In theory-it sure sounds fun but NOT worth the effort.. In my case the color choice was red and purple of which I had NONE! so, I had to go buy fabric! Then postage on top of that! GRRRRRR! Would have been OK had I gotten SOME fabric back!

I'd be hesitant without "knowing" the people, been burned on all sorts of swaps. Has the person you got it from received theirs yet?

Hi Roxanne

Are you still interested in exchanging some fabric or maybe blocks? Just wondering, since I hadn't heard anything back from you.

Carmen

Quote Originally Posted by Rox17
    I don't see how it could be illegal. You aren't sending money, just fabric. It's no different than you guys exchanging fabric amongst yourselves. It's just a fun way to end up with a variety of fabrics to make a scrappy quilt. I was just putting it out there. No one has to do it if they don't want to.
    I agree, dont see how sending 6 inch squares of fabric can be illegal??? Sort of funny when you think....how many years do you go to prison for that? Maybe LIFE? lol I see it the same as our bunny exchange or any other kind of exchange on here. Who takes time to inforce this? I hope they are worring more about drugs, gangs and criminals than people sending each other fabric in the mail.

Just my thoughts anyway lol

Margie ;)

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I gave up on the idea and called my cousin and told her if she wanted to continue with it to find someone else. Everyone I have talked to said "I've tried it before and it didn't work". I haven't talked to my cousin to see if she got any fabric from anyone else but I would be surprised. Like one of you said, by the time you have to go out and buy the fabric, then the postage and you don't end up with anything it isn't worth it. But, I still say I don't see how it could be illegal. I think the term illegal is a little strong. Not ethical, maybe, but not illegal.

Well, I have a confession to make. I changed my screen name on here to quiltlvr because I was embarrassed about all the fuss about the quilt tree thing. Didn't think about it until I replied to this message and realized it is showing me as quiltlvr. Sorry about the confusion.

There is no need to be embarrassed we are all good people here. We have questions we ask and they get answered. Nobody means to be mean. Sometimes words are taken out of context.

Thanks Machel.

Your Welcome