Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt turn around time? >

Quilt turn around time?

Quilt turn around time?

Old 12-23-2022, 05:09 AM

Each business has their own average turn around. A local shop has an average of 3 MONTHS throughout the year; if someone wants something by Christmas, they have to give it to them by August as that's when they get their rush. Other local quilters have them done, on average, in under a month.
Old 12-23-2022, 06:04 AM

try sending her a card in the mail asking if she got the quilt since you can't contact her.
Old 12-23-2022, 07:53 AM

I turn mine around in a week to 10 days, tops.
Old 12-26-2022, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Sorry ladies, guess I wasn't clear. When I sent the quilt I knew it wouldn't be back before Christmas unless a miracle happened. The check for payment was sent with the top/backing and hasn't been cashed yet. She has quilted large quilts for me before, but not at Christmas time and so her turn around time was about a month. Was simply asking what the turn around time for other longarm quilters was. I'll get mine back sometime in January probably.
Sent?
Unless you know her policy is to not cash checks until the quilt is done, I'd be on the phone verifying that it got there at all.

The quilter I use normally has a turnaround time of about 4 weeks. Every year she has a cut-off date that quilts must be there by October 1st to guarantee it be done by December 1st. I got a quilt to her on October 5, and got it back on November 29.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:09 AM

My first experience with a LA was so disappointing that I hesitated to try it again. After three months I still had not heard anything from the quilter. Little did I know she was a VERY popular custom quilter LA in the area and also could not say no to any one. She admitted she over schedules her time at the long arm. I made a phone call at three months and got a finish weeks later. Beautiful work, not custom, but I have not gone back to her because for me almost 4 months is too long. I now use a LA that has a turn around of about 2 weeks. She understands how long it takes to load and finish a quilt as well as her family obligations. I also make it exceedingly clear if a quilt is on a deadline or if I can be flexible if someone else has a more pressing deadline than I. So far this has worked well for both of us. She does about 4 or 5 quilts per year for me and I do the rest on my own domestic machine.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:59 AM

Ladies....yes I sent the quilt filmsy/backing to a quilt shop owner/LA quilter in Dubuque, Iowa. ( I'm in Davenport, Iowa ) No different than sending to Missouri Star in my opinion. Shipped it by United Parcel Service and have a note from them that it was received by Megan. I did send a note through Facebook this morning and it is on the list to be quilted on 12/28. Sounds great to me. Thank you all for letting me know the time allowances that you have to get a quilt back. You've shown great concern and have been helpful.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:20 AM
bj

My friend who does my longarming usually takes 4-6 weeks, depending on how many are in line ahead of me. But she can usually give me a close guess on when to expect it back.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:03 PM
Power Poster

Mine usually takes about three to four months unless I ask for a rush job ahead of time and check with her about it. She is really a wonderful quilter and I know that means a long wait time.