Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt tying

Just wondering why and how do you tie a quilt? If you did a plan square block quilt and tied it would you still stitch in the ditch too? Sorry I'm new to quilting and have seen post where people say they are going to tie their quilts. Just wondering why and how you do it?

Blog Entries
    It is usually a tied quilt or a quilted quilt - not either, or. Many old-timers tied their quilts because they were so thick that you could not hand quilt them. Much faster also.

Blog Entries
    Sure you could do both, I have seen it done and it was beautiful :D:D:D

It still comes down to the quilt, and what you think would look best on it :wink:

Blog Entries
    I tied this king size. first used embroidery thread and it kept coming undone. took it all out and used yarn.
    only tied the quilt, no stitched quilting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This quilt is gorgeous! Did you find out why the ties came undone? Was it the floss itself? I personally have only used Perle cotton with good results.

Blog Entries
    I am working on a T-shirt quilt that is both tied and quilted. The t-shirt part was too tough to quilt so tied every three inches and it looks fine.

Blog Entries
    I helped my mom tie all her grandchilden a quilt and she always used white crochet thread and it works great and stays tied. She tied a knot then cliped the threads to about an inch long. There was 11 grandchildren. She pieced 5" squares on her featherweight and made all of them a quilt before she passed away. Good memories helping her tie them.

It's either/or, quilt or tie. Tying IMO gives it more of an old-fashioned cozy look.

dls
    I tied one because I wasn't really fond of the top when it was finished and I didn't want to spend all the time it takes to quilt. I didn't do it by hand. I used the button sewing stitch on my machine to tack it about every 4 inches. It worked well.