Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt as you go before adding backing >

quilt as you go before adding backing

quilt as you go before adding backing

Old 08-19-2020, 07:59 AM

Question quilt as you go before adding backing

I'm trying another method of quilt-as-you-go because I don't want to quilt a large quilt on my home machine. This is the method where you quilt onto the batting and then assemble the quilted blocks then add backing and do a little more quilting to hold the backing on. I bought Warm and White needle-punched batting which I thought would be ideal. However, I am discovering that since the needle-punched batting has a very low loft, the quilting is not showing up at all. There is no texture to the quilted block. The block does not look quilted. Has anyone ever had this issue?
Old 08-19-2020, 08:53 AM

Hello and welcome to the boards.

I would add a second layer of batting if you want more definition. I have added a second layer of dream/poly 80/20 with machine embroidery blocks for the whole quilt.

Won't you still have the whole the quilt to manage when you add the backing and additional quilting?

Would it work for you to quilt the quilt in quadrants? Then make the joins using the QAYG technique?

Good luck and again welcome!
Old 08-19-2020, 09:13 AM

I think it is the batting you've chosen. You might want to change your thread color, so if you are white on white background, maybe a cream will still read as white but be more noticeable.

I have a similar project in my to-do boxes. I bought a set of cross-stitched blocks at the Thrift store, I'm estimating them to be 1970s era. The fabric is rather flimsy so I want to reinforce it, and I don't really want to go over the cross-stitched blocks (stitches are large) with the quilting. So I've designed a block quilting design that will in part be about reinforcing the fabric, part making the blocks more consistent in size, and in part not quilting over the stitches.

After I get the blocks done, I have a wide pieced sashing designed and cut (I think the blocks are 15" and the sashing is 5?). I will put it the completed top together with a full light weight batting and I will be mostly quilting down the sashing through all the layers, but I've designed the pattern to go into those embroidered blocks as well. It's not ideal as the blocks are large, but I don't expect this to be a heavily used/washed quilt, more the sort of thing you have folded for display on the bottom of a guest bed.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I use Hobbs 80/20 for most of my quilting. There is no reason (other then added cost ) that you couldn’t put another batt in when you put on your backing. You will have to meet the extra batting quilting requirement though.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:40 AM

Thanks, Rhonda, I might try that.

Kathy

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
Hello and welcome to the boards.

I would add a second layer of batting if you want more definition. I have added a second layer of dream/poly 80/20 with machine embroidery blocks for the whole quilt.

Won't you still have the whole the quilt to manage when you add the backing and additional quilting?

Would it work for you to quilt the quilt in quadrants? Then make the joins using the QAYG technique?

Good luck and again welcome!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:45 AM

I think I need to add the batting before doing the quilting, but, yes, it does seem like extra batting is the way to go. Thanks for your response and your welcome. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this group!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
I think it is the batting you've chosen. You might want to change your thread color, so if you are white on white background, maybe a cream will still read as white but be more noticeable.

I have a similar project in my to-do boxes. I bought a set of cross-stitched blocks at the Thrift store, I'm estimating them to be 1970s era. The fabric is rather flimsy so I want to reinforce it, and I don't really want to go over the cross-stitched blocks (stitches are large) with the quilting. So I've designed a block quilting design that will in part be about reinforcing the fabric, part making the blocks more consistent in size, and in part not quilting over the stitches.

After I get the blocks done, I have a wide pieced sashing designed and cut (I think the blocks are 15" and the sashing is 5?). I will put it the completed top together with a full light weight batting and I will be mostly quilting down the sashing through all the layers, but I've designed the pattern to go into those embroidered blocks as well. It's not ideal as the blocks are large, but I don't expect this to be a heavily used/washed quilt, more the sort of thing you have folded for display on the bottom of a guest bed.
Sounds like quite the project! Good luck!
Old 08-19-2020, 12:53 PM
Power Poster

I mostly use poly batting hi-loft. I haven't tried your way.

Welcome to this board. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:39 AM

First of all let me welcome you to the QB from SE Michigan! I too would change t he color of the thread to quilt this quilt. I have a very large quilt that I need to finish that will need be QAYG for the sections I have made and will put together to make a King Size quilt. I would like to hear more about what you are doing as you go with this quilt. I am always excited about new and different ways to QAYG..
Old 08-20-2020, 02:34 PM

Default QAYG & Big Stitch

I just finished my first QAYG quilt. I used cotton pearl #8 since I used the big stitch method. It's a kit I got from Connecting Threads and each block is different. I used a medium to dark pink thread and it really made each square pop. I hand piece and hand quilt and the quilting went really fast. My next project is a quilt top that I pieced several years ago and couldn't decide how I wanted to quilt it. Well, it's going to be Big Stitch using caramel on some parts and a darker brown on other parts.