Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: quilt as you go 'the border'

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy
    beautiful quilt, thanks Patrice for helping get it on here so she can share with us
    Kathy,

I love the taste of chicken cooked most any way. I also like live chickens because I grew up on a farm where we had many varieties, but to see a chicken with its feathers still intact floating in a soup pot is ... what shall I say ... repulsive maybe?

GramMER

Blog Entries
    i've seen the photo in full size, close up. the chicken is sitting - voluntarily - in a bowl. it is not floating in liquid. she just found a cozy little nesting place. i think she looks happy.

of all kathy's chicken pictures, that one is my favorite.

actually, it's a giant flower pot that was full of rose moss, she kept getting in it everyday scratching around to take her dust bath untill finally there was no more moss, just dirt for her bath, I'm not cruel and I love my chickens , and only eat the store bought ones.
    kathy

This is silly, I eat chicken I eat eggs. My dad was at one time a chicken farmer. Every Sunday we had a chicken dinner. People will always eat meat, we also love our animal and put pictures of them in our quilts.

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi there! Basting-wise, I just wanted to put in a vote for the spray adhesives for basting. I've never noticed that it has harmed my quilts and it's sooooo easy and fast! I just tape the backing right-side down to my floor, lay out the batting on top to check position/wrinkles/etc. then fold it back, spray that section, smooth it down and then do the other side. Repeat the steps with the top. Voila! No pins, no threads.

Blog Entries
    i agree it's great stuff for machine quilting. well worth the price. i get several lap quilts' worth out of each can.

just don't try to hand quilt through it. especially if you're using cotton batting. OY!!!

like trying to quilt through clay.
    :shock:

LOL... I'm lazy and into instant gratification. I learned how to hand quilt, but MUCH prefer the quickness and serendipity of machine quilting. I even used it to spray down tissue paper that I had done calligraphy on for my niece's baby quilt and then filled it in with stitches - it came out really nicely (i was shocked... lol)

What is the biddy saying to the egg. I can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeewoman
    LOL... I'm lazy and into instant gratification. I learned how to hand quilt, but MUCH prefer the quickness and serendipity of machine quilting. I even used it to spray down tissue paper that I had done calligraphy on for my niece's baby quilt and then filled it in with stitches - it came out really nicely (i was shocked... lol)
    Please, tell us more about the sprayed down tissue paper technique. It sounds mighty interesting... 8)

Is that a real chicken at the bottom of your bowl?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robin588
    Is that a real chicken at the bottom of your bowl?
    If you're asking about Kathy's avatar, then yes ... it's a real chicken sitting VOLUNTARILY in the bowl.

Cat

HI--CAT HERE

Quilting as you go has been around for a long time--just read about making a quilt in the 1800's by sandwiching blocks and machine or hand quilting them than sewing the binding around each one, when all blocks were done they slip-stitched them together--presto all done. I thought this was a great idea as now days with our great sewing machines and the many stitches at our beck and call we can secure those blocks together very quickly---what do you think.--CAT

PS--woke up to snow again this morning--not much though

Welcome Cat. I have a regular sewing machine so that all I do is quilt as you go. Works for me. Less material to pull and tug on.

I found a QAYG history and instructions that are easy to follow. http://www.secretsof.com/content/194

I've designed a quilt top for Texas Bluebonnets and was wanting to work on it while rock hunting in New Mexico in August (lots of driving involved - or in my case, riding - there are times that it is really nice to have a husband that wants to do all of the driving). Will be glad to share the pattern with anyone who wants it. It's in Microsoft Excel format - no instructions on piecing, just the graphs.
    Couldn't figure out how I was going to be able to quilt in the truck until now. Thanks, ladies! :D

Can you post it here?

Here it is in Excel and jpg in case anyone doesn't have Excel. The leaves, stars and stems are all applique. Am going to use 4 shades of blue, 4 whites/creams, and 3 reds. I figured it on a 1-1/4" grid.

May have bitten off more than I can chew.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nina I love it :!: It is going on my someday list. I like everything about it, color and layout and design. Too too pretty :!: I may not be good at that, but I do copy pretty well LOL Thanks for sharing it.

Hello Friends,

I hope I understand what you are talking about when you say "quilt as you go".

I recently made a small quilt with a method that I would call "quilt as you go". You have to plan it as you cut. I made my blocks, sewed them together in columns, cut the backing into columns the same size as the pieced column, then I placed batting behind the pieced column, then the backing behind the batting. I sewed both long edges together, or you can serge them. For the second and succeeding columns, I placed the next PIECED column right side toward right side of first column. Then I placed the next BACKING column right side toward first column backing and battingagainst the backing. This makes quite a bit of bulk, but it goes under my machine quite well. I sew all this with the help of a walking foot, then press away from column 1. This means press very well to make it lie flat. I sew or serge the raw edge of column 2 to avoid slipping when I attach column 3 as described for column 2 above.

I hope this is clearer than mud. I made a lap quilt like this and after I had sewed all columns together, I could stitch in the ditch along the seamline of the crosswise blocks.

Wanda

Cat

: :roll: Cat Here---- Boy how ideas grow--Keep it up

Nina I love excel. I use it alot to create my own designs, templates and figureing blocks, yardage and all kinds of things. On many websites you can also download graph paper of all shapes and sizes. Microsoft office website has graph paper in excell format. Another is Marti Mitchell.

Breathtaking quilt!

Sure hope it will as pretty in acutality as it is on the chart. It will be my second project. As much as I want to start it, I am determined to finish the first one before I begin this one - hopefully, this weekend.

I'll be working on the bluebonnet quilt while Sarah (8 yrs. old) is making her snake quilt. After our long talk emphasizing that you don't start a project unless you are going to complete it, I have no choice but to keep myself from joining the NHFPC with my quilting (Numerous Half Finished Projects Club).

I'm already a charter member of the counted crosstitch division......

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nina
    Sure hope it will as pretty in acutality as it is on the chart. It will be my second project. As much as I want to start it, I am determined to finish the first one before I begin this one - hopefully, this weekend.

I'll be working on the bluebonnet quilt while Sarah (8 yrs. old) is making her snake quilt. After our long talk emphasizing that you don't start a project unless you are going to complete it, I have no choice but to keep myself from joining the NHFPC with my quilting (Numerous Half Finished Projects Club).

what? you never heard of sneaking around in the middle of the night? or the old standby, "do as I say, not as I do?" or (my personal mantra) "perfection is a noble goal, but it stinks as a standard."

psssssssss!!! she's asleep. tippy toe down the hall to the sewing room. i'll hold the flashlight.
    :mrgreen:

I think I must be a charter member of the UFO club--at least judging by the number of them in my closet :!: :D

The rail fence is beautiful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast