Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILT as you go, sort of, question >

QUILT as you go, sort of, question

QUILT as you go, sort of, question

Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 AM

Question QUILT as you go, sort of, question

I have 22 inch blocks in the dresden plate I am working on. Have a question has anyone ever joined the blocks together, with a quilt as you go method and been happy with it? I did a cotton theory quilt that was all joined with the quilt as you go method. The only drawback I have is that it is fairly stiff from all of the stitching. Maybe it will soften up when I wash. My question is has anyone ever followed the same principal of joining, in a quilt? I feel that the quilt would not be so stiff as each block would have the regular quilting on it. Hope you understand my question, or should I just leave it, joining the blocks and sandwiching it together? Maybe less work in the longrun.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Banned

Yes, you can quilt as you go and don't have to do the Cotton Theory method.
It will look like it was pieced and then quilted.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 AM

Search the board for quilt as you go, or qayg; also YouTube for ideas. There are several ways to do qayg.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
Yes, you can quilt as you go and don't have to do the Cotton Theory method.
It will look like it was pieced and then quilted.
Will do some looking, but thinking the cotton theory of joining might be the choice since I have done it. I do like the seams it makes on the front. Will see. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 AM

I do quilt as you go and haven't found the result to be too stiff. It may depend on the batting and the strip fabric.

I use this tutorial: http://welshquilter.blogspot.com/200...as-you-go.html with the adjustment of a change in the narrow strip to be 1 and 1/8" instead of 1".

Doing QAYG makes the whole quilting thing manageable for me, and I love it!

Dayle

P.S. My avatar is QAYG
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 AM

what I have been doing is getting the body without the borders ready to quilt. sandwich it leaving room for the borders on the batting and backing now you just quilt that the way you want then sew your border on the side as normal r sides together sew thru all the layers do this with all the borders now you just have borders to quilt it has worked for me
Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 AM

I have been wanting to do one. Thank you Daylesewblessed for the sight. I printed it out, it looks like the best I have seen.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the site explaining a slightly different way to qayg. I am thinking I may try this, have to look at it some more. The thing that attracts me to it is the ease in quilting a 22 inch block and not the whole bunch of them in a quilt. I like free motion, sometimes all of the tugging and pulling of the heaviness of the quilt is not something I enjoy, but will do if I have to.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:00 AM

Sorry meant to mention to Daylesewblessed, your avatar is a lovely quilt. Really like it.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:25 PM

I "came"up with a way,(maybe had it in the back of my mind from someone else, too old to get it right!). First, make sure that all pieces of top will fit together (are same size so as not to wrinkle or bunch when joined together later. I join a couple rows together, sandwich with batting and backing larger than rows. You can fold backing over batting and pin to make smaller. Quilt up to about 3" from all top edges, then add another two rows to top, add more batting behind it, (I iron tape or interfacing to batting to attach) and then add more backing with about a 3/8" or 1/2" seam. Do each layer separately. Then sandwich that part making sure there are no wrinkles. Quilt that part up to about 3", etc. You will only be working on the parts that you attach. The bulk will be on your left and that way you do not need to manuver a heavy, large part under the harp, and you don't have to add any strips between blocks to attach or sew thru quilt, batting and backing to attach, which sometimes makes wrinkles or bulges. You can start in the middle with a few squares, or do rows across. Start with a small quilt til you get the idea and then look out, you will be addicted to finishing projects this way!

Hope I explained that well. Sometimes I have trouble putting into words what is in my head.