Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go. >

Quilt as you go.

Quilt as you go.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:54 AM

I'm taking a class on it on Saturday so not sure myself yet. I will be making a crib size quilt although the pattern can be made larger of course. I'll report back after class and see how crazy it was.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:59 AM

I have done both flip and stitch QAYG and quilt separate blocks and then join with sashing QAYG. Loved both methods. Plan to do several more quilts as QAYG block method. Already have some of them sandwiched ready to quilt. Do many Project Linus and baby quilts as stitch and flip.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 AM

Default quilt as you go

I am finishing a fractured gems quilt for dgd and have done the middle (60 x 80) as one piece. Quilted it on the lines of the pattern which are large circles. It was almost more than I could manuever through the throat of the machine. Now I will assemble the fall on each side of the quilt, and machine quilt them. Then I will sew sashing strips together down the middle. Then will sew each sashing strip to the sides of the large piece and then to the respective side falls. Then turn to right side, turn under and stitch with a decorative stitch with matching thread (I think). Then will assemble the fall going across the bottom of the quilt and add it in the same manner. I am going to round off thecorners of the bottom fall so as to avoid the vacuum cleaner. Then bind, by hand. I have done 3 or 4 quilts with this method and I like it, because it looks good and it doesn't cost me a lot of money and I quilted it myself.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 AM

Wanted to add to my post that I used bamboo batting. Got it because I wanted to try hand quilting with it, but whilel pinning it,, it seemed hard to push the pins through so decided it would be hard to hand stitch. However, while machine quilting, it behaved very nicely and I do not have one wrinkle on the back and only about 3 or 4 very small places where the machine foot pushed the fabric over a seam as it crossed. very satisfied. I posted a reply on quilt as you go but don't see it here.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:34 AM

I used a "Fun and Done" pattern and made this one. Can't wait to make another one. I highly recommend this technique!
Attached Thumbnails fun-done-1.jpg   fun-done-2.jpg   fun-done-3.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 06:48 AM

Mjul, love your Fun and Done....I have made a few of them also, but did mine on the diagonal, using scraps
they are quick and easy....
Old 11-03-2011, 06:54 AM

I just finished the Uberfest blocks (16 blocks in 16 days). I made the first 12 blocks into a "fun & done" type quilt, & the other 4 blocks into a tablerunner using the same method. They are 12 1/2" blocks, so I used flannel for the backing (cut to 14 1/2" squares, 12 1/2" batting--marked 1" all around backing squares to center--was very quick & easy to do). Would be a great way to do a king size quilt without having to fight to quilt! Only thing is, if you have points on stars, etc., it will cut them off. Don't know how to post a pic...can someone help? Then I will post it. OMG! I figured it out!!! Here's the pic for you.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-done-fun-done-way.jpg  

Last edited by VickiM; 11-03-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM

I have been thinking that this is a better way for me. It is getting so hard to do the larger ones when my RA is bothering me. dlong I love your quilt.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:09 AM

I have done one and there are some tutorials on this board on how to proceed. If I do it again I will plan to sew my sashng by machine on the reverse side instead of by hand. My hand stitching is not that great and I get concerned that it would come loose. It is a good technique for finishing the whole quilt by yourself if you are unable to quilt a large quilt by machine. The one I did was king size. Hope it goes well for you.

Carol
Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 PM

it is so great seeing everybody helping each other make the adjustments

FREE Quilting Newsletter