Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quilt as you go

Blog Entries
    I did a GAUG on a crazy quilt....I found the instructions on the net. It has a narrow 1" strip on the front and a 1 3/4" inch strip (doubled) on the back that you then hand stitched down. It worked pretty good cuz I did some fancy lace and machine stitches on each block layered with top,batting and backing. I enjoyed the hand stitching when I had the rows together. I just goggled "quiltasyougo" and this site came up.

If you are making string blocks, you can do them quilt as you go. Cut your backing and batting, then sew the strings on the blocks and square. Your quilting is already done. Then, the blocks are put together with sashing, much like the method mentioned above. Easy, pretty, and quick.

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I sewed the blocks into strips as normal then batted and backed. When I quilted the strip, I stopped and inch short of the edge. Then I joined the strips RST - the top- turned it over, trimmed the batting so it butted up, then folded one edge of the backing over the other and slip stitched down.

then finished off the quilting!

K x
    Ok, that makes sense to me!.. Thank you for explaining it. :)

A good site for Quilt-as-you-go is as follows:
    welshquilter.blogspot.com/2008/02/quilt-as-you-go.html.

I have referred to it and am using the suggestions, but haven't finished my quilt yet, but do like the site and suggestions.

This is fun and i too love Georgia Bonesteel lap quilting have fun.
    From Alabama

Here's a link to a tutorial in Quilted Paradise from a while back.

http://www.quiltedparadise.com/n/067-ezl.jsp

Blog Entries
    There is another alternative to 'QAYG. Today, I found a Marti Mitchell book, 'Machine Quilting in Sections' that was originally published in 2004. I think it has been republished, because it was at my local JoAnn's which hasn't been open that long! Anyway, Marti shows a BUNCH of ways to tackle machine quilting big quilts. She shows various ingenious ways of NOT joining all the blocks together until the quilting is finished. Many of them have the borders added and quilted AFTER the rest of the quilt is finished.

Hi ,
    I'm working on a quilt as you go now. I got the instructions from bayside quilting. The fun and done tutorial. I did my first row on a sudoku quilt. So far it is coming out good. I will try to send a picture. Thanks for all in info on it. I have been wanting to try this for a long time. Joyce Ann

quilt as you go first row
    Name:  Attachment-27302.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  44.2 KB

I have been using the Georgia Bonstell method for years. I just finished up the Yellow Brick Road king size quilt. What I do it join the rows as if I were making a regular quilt, but in three to four row sections at a time. , (which ever you perfer). I also found it easier to attach the border as I go. You can either hand or machine quilt

I recently bought a book called Machine Quilting in Sections by Marti Michell. It seems that the concept is pretty easy but I haven't had time to complete a quilt by this method.

I have done a small quilt in sections by piecing squares and sewing them together in a column, adding the batting and backing together, then basting the raw edges of the column together. I attached another column with the right side of the quilt pattern next to the right side of the piece I just quilted. The backing and batting are pinned next to the backing of the quilted strip Then sewed together in 1/4 inch seam. When it is all sewn together, I ironed the new column AWAY from the previously quilted part, sewed the raw edges together 1/4 inch from the edge and added another column. When it is done, it is quilted. Then you add any borders you want and the binding.

Hope this helps.

Wanda

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    I want to do this with some orphan blocks I have from swaps. It seems pretty simple to me just need a lot more blocks lol.
    What an awesome idea!! :lol: Thanks for sharing.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynda in TN
    If you are making string blocks, you can do them quilt as you go. Cut your backing and batting, then sew the strings on the blocks and square. Your quilting is already done. Then, the blocks are put together with sashing, much like the method mentioned above. Easy, pretty, and quick.
    My log cabin (above) was made this way - it's a really quick quilt to make!

K x

Blog Entries
    fun and done works really well. do you do suduko? Never have figured it out...too much thinking for me I guess

I love the fun and done method. I have made a couple of sudoku quilts for my granddaughters. I thought I'd try one with the quilt as you go method. It's turning out really good. If you google sudoku quilts you can come up with how they are made. Very easy

Quote Originally Posted by Deb G
    I've had these 2 sites bookmarked but have never tried it. It looks easy enough to do and I do have plans to try it on a quilt I have in my line up of quilts to make.

Would love to see it when it's done.

http://www.secretsof.com/content/624

http://www.treadleon.net/quiltshop/j...s/joining.html

Deb G
    These are both very good. the attached photo was a quilt as you go that I did in about 1982 in a class and it is all by hand except part of the sashing and final border.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everyones looks SO nice!!!! Looks like we are all having success with this type of quilt!

k3n, your log cabin quilt brought back memories from about 30 years ago when I found instructions for this quilt in "Family Circle" or Women's Day" magazine. I had made a couple, and daughters used this method also. Your right, it is quick and easy! There are a number of patterns that would work with this method.

Phyllis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2