Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt As You Go >

Quilt As You Go

Quilt As You Go

Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Your technique is interesting. I'll have to try it. Thanks for sharing - esp. pics. Great quilt.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Love your quilt. Please do take pictures of how you are doing it. I hate to do the actual quilting and certainly can't afford to send it out to be done so this way could work out nicely.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM

You picked a good QAYG. The two methods I have been taught, although easy, block by block, is a nightmare, row by row. It also makes a very heavy quilt with all the folded over seams and such.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 PM

How do you get the back of the quilt and the batting quilted then? As I assume you quilt the top rows before you sew them together. Am I right? Love your idea, as having someone quilt your quilts is getting so expensive.

Originally Posted by gigigray032447 View Post
My batting and back are one large piece. I then sew the rows onto the large piece. It takes some maneuvering, and you have to make sure you don't get your pieced rows upside down. Prong pins are almost essential for this as they slide easily into the sandwich and you don't have to lift the rows (sandwich package) to pin. After a row is sewn, I iron both the front and the back, and I iron the back one row ahead. That smooths out the back/batting combination and ensures no bunching on the back. Next time I make another one, I will post pictures if you all wish.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Power Poster

Cool quilt!!!!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM

Here's a slightly different method of quilt as you go: http://www.quiltingboard.com/resources/article-73.html
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM

Here is a video that (I think) is very similar to the method used by gigigray. The differences are that gigi used pieced rows instead of strips and she started in the middle and worked outward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl_OPPpXNLM
Old 02-12-2013, 01:24 AM

Yes Tate the you tube video you posted is very similar to the method I use, except that I start in the center of the quilt and work out. All my strips or pieced rows are the same length so I don't have to square up the quilt when finished. I'm in the process of making another and will post pictures when I get the rows completed.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 AM

So there are no vertical seams (creating vertical "quilting")? I understand how you are sewing on the rows, but those lengths of fabric running horizontal on the quilt must also need stitching as recommended on batting packages, right?
Thx for clarifying.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:20 AM

So the back of the quilt is not quilted like the blocks on the front then, is that right? The backing would only have the flip and sew seam lines on? I assume you quilted the front rows before you put the batting on. Am I correct?

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
This is also what I've started doing! 1st started a couple of years ago & love it.

FREE Quilting Newsletter