Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go >

Quilt as you go

Quilt as you go

Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 AM

Default Quilt as you go

Would any of you be worried about doing this way of quilt as you go? I know most people don't like stitching in the ditch when seams are pressed open. This way has you quilt the tip and batting, press seams open, and then add the back and stitch in the ditch. I want to try this but that makes me a little nervous, also it seems like the seams might be pretty bulky. I want to try quilt as you go but I don't want to hand stitch the back or add sashing so this seemed like a good alternative. Thanks!

http://maureencracknellhandmade.blog...orial.html?m=1
Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM

I have done stitch as you go as well as blocks and joined together and quilted as I go. Look at avatar that was made this way. I don't have open seams they lie as joined seams would be.
Looking at video she only has top and wadding I have my backing on as well . So I join top layer as I would if joining without quilting. Then I had join the wadding in a straight line and finally pin backing into place and hand stitch. Then I quilt over..

Last edited by DOTTYMO; 04-08-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:10 AM

I want to learn to do this also. I have read on the board some say the ones they did were stiffer.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Try looking at Ditter 43's post dated 8/22/2010, titled Ditter's string quilt. I had this bookmarked because I thought I'd try it one day, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe it will help.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Power Poster

I would get "Machine Quilting in Sections", by Marti Michell. It contains several QAYG methods:
http://www.amazon.com/Marti-Michell-...quilting+books

I don't see anything wrong with the method used. You could modify it by squaring up your blocks before quilting, then cut your batting 1/4" smaller on all 4 sides (half inch off the length & width). Then when you join the blocks, you don't have the added bulk of the batting.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 AM

I keep thinking I will give this a try, but I'm always afraid it won't look nice. Guess I won't know til I try!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
Try looking at Ditter 43's post dated 8/22/2010, titled Ditter's string quilt. I had this bookmarked because I thought I'd try it one day, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe it will help.
Thank you so much. I have wanted to try this for a long time!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter 53 View Post
Here's the link to her tutorial here. Looks like it would be ok. This is a very helpful tutorial.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...lt-t60764.html
Old 04-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by luckydiver17 View Post
Would any of you be worried about doing this way of quilt as you go? I know most people don't like stitching in the ditch when seams are pressed open. This way has you quilt the tip and batting, press seams open, and then add the back and stitch in the ditch. I want to try this but that makes me a little nervous, also it seems like the seams might be pretty bulky. I want to try quilt as you go but I don't want to hand stitch the back or add sashing so this seemed like a good alternative. Thanks!

http://maureencracknellhandmade.blog...orial.html?m=1

I see that most of the quilting is done on individual blocks before assembling, but stitching in the ditch once assembled and backed using this method on a large quilt will still be unwieldy. I also question what it looks like to have a double thickness of batting at the opened seams. Certainly the batting must be thin to use this method.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM

My QAUG method. I piece my blocks. Cut the backing and batting the size of the block. Make the sandwich with the 3 pieces. Then I zig zag 2 blocks together, butting them to each other. Make a strip of binding to match the backing, and the front. [ I cut these 1 and 1/2 inches wide, making the finished size 1/2 in.] You could also buy ready made. Sew a stripe on the back first, and them a strip on the top covering the stitching on the front side. I do all the rows across, then the rows down. I love the QAUG method. Just have to find the way you like. Good luck.

FREE Quilting Newsletter