Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt as you go! >

quilt as you go!

quilt as you go!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

All the quilts shown on here are just beautiful. thank you for sharing. Penny
Old 02-28-2010, 03:39 AM

I started my Projects in January of 2008.......King Size Quilts for each of my three grown kids. I drew the Quilts out on graph paper first, bought fabric that would make each child happy. I was right on target for Christmas 2008, one morning in 08/08, I woke up & could not use my hands........"Arthur" had set in and did I ever suffer. January 2009, I managed to cut out the fourth one for my only Grandchild. Daughter & Grandson's had 64 blocks each made into sandwich's, then joined with 4" strips folded & attached to the back of each block, joined into rows then joined the rows. Oldest son's done same way with larger blocks. Youngest son's done using 15" strips placed around a center horse panel of 36 X 36". When bringing the joining pieces to the front, I used a fancy stitch on my Brother 6500 to close them down......by the way, I hate regular batting. I buy white "sheet blankets" from Blair and use two layers in each block or strip. I also use this batting method to do Machine Embroidery..........Sorry no pictures at this time.......Katrina
Old 02-28-2010, 06:03 AM

Hi Connie,
I also quilt on my domestic. Just finished a queen size Irish Chain. I used Marti Michell's method of quilting in sections. For this one I quilted entire center of quilt 70 x 90 first. Then added borders, more batting, more backing. It worked great for me! I would do it again. Am currently in the middle of a T-shirt quilt that I am going to do "quilt as you go" Am quilting individual blocks at this time and then I'm pretter sure I'm going to do the QAYG no hand sewing method, there's a great tute on this board. BUT I haven't done that yet so I can't give an opinion on that method.
Good Luck, Have Fun
peel
Old 02-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
There is another option, which is quilting in sections. See Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections - http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti...7225218&sr=1-1

I used several of the methods in this book on all my large quilts (until I got a longarm) and it made the quilting process much easier.
I agree - Marti's method is GREAT. It's especially nice because you sew your whole quilt top together before you start quilting. That way, you can be sure your block corners actually MATCH!

I sew the batting together with my edge stitching foot and the faggoting stitch - although any zig zag stitch would work. It REALLY doesn't flatten the batting.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:00 PM

I use a variation of Marti's techniques and I work in panels rather than the entire top. I do a 3 row panel which is 3 or 4 blocks across and 3 rows down. I prefer 3 blocks across and down as it's easier for me to reach in and do the hand quilting. I then layer the next panel or border on and quilt it and continue that way. I layer using what she refers to as her 6 layer seam but I don't catch the batting in the joining seam but just butt it up snug to the edge of the sewn seam. I've been using this technique for years and it's easy and fun to do. Most of the time my seams line up perfectly unless I get into a hurry and get careless. I do like what I've read in the QAYG tutorial on this website though. I've done something similar in the past and in fact that's how I originally started and then switched to working with panels. Yes, I do have seams on the backside and they have worn beautifully. The little bit of mending on quilts 25 years old were due to children dragging them through the house and tearing them and NOT due to my quilting, quilting style or choice of fabric.
Patty
Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by dunster
There is another option, which is quilting in sections. See Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections - http://www.amazon.com/Machine-Quilti...7225218&sr=1-1

I used several of the methods in this book on all my large quilts (until I got a longarm) and it made the quilting process much easier.
I agree - Marti's method is GREAT. It's especially nice because you sew your whole quilt top together before you start quilting. That way, you can be sure your block corners actually MATCH!

I sew the batting together with my edge stitching foot and the faggoting stitch - although any zig zag stitch would work. It REALLY doesn't flatten the batting.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:20 PM

Large simple quilts I do this way. I simply divide top, batting and back into three sections the whole length of the quilt leaving 1/4-1/2 seam to be joined to the next section. Then I machine stitch the seam together on the top layer. Tuck in the batting, turn over to hand stitch the backing by leaving one part of the seam flat and turning over the other part over that. Clear as mud? Silvia
Old 03-01-2010, 04:37 AM

Hi Connie,
I have tried different quilt as you go patterns and was not really pleased with the results. Last year I discovered Fun and Done patterns by Prairie Sky Quilting. I love these patterns - they are wonderful. The various patterns are beautiful and the instructions are very clear and easy to follow. The other quilt as you go patterns did not seen to have the feel that these ones do. Prairie Sky has a website: http://www.prairieskyquilting.com/
Take a look and consider one of these patterns..

Sue in Pennsylvania
Old 03-01-2010, 06:50 AM

that is a great idea , doing it in 1/3 i think that would be the best way. i have two qoeen size quilts to quilt and i think that is the way i will do mine i have a Husqvarna Sapphire machine and it has a longer throat and so much room than my viking 1070. i love this forum i have learned so much from all you ladies and love seeing all the beautiful things you all make
wilma
Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 AM

What is a fun and done quilt? I have never heard of it but sounds like something I would like.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:34 AM

Hi Sewing Grandma,
They are a line of quilt as you go quilt patterns - and they have a totally different look and feel. Strips are cut and pieced into strip sets then the strip sets are cut. Some cuts are straight while others are cut on an angle. When they are put together the designs are very different - check them out at their website - the name of the company Prairie Sky Quilting. To this point I have made 3 of them, this weekend I made a 12 block table runner - and it is completely done. I am in no way associated with the company - just one happy, happy quilter that has found a pattern that I can start and finish. I purchased 1 pattern at a show in the fall - then I purchased 4 others. They are great....
I am always anxious to hear what others hear about them. I will be going to Paducah to the show in April and I just may pick up the ones that I do not have already. I am hooked!!!!
Enjoy,
Sue in Pennsylvania