Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go >

Quilt as you go

Quilt as you go

Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 AM

Hi everyone, I am looking for directions how to do quilt as you go. I have few blocks already made and just need to put together.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:38 AM

If you go to Search at the top of the page and type in QuiltAsYouGo, there's several possible tutorials that should be very helpful!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 AM

I just started to do this with a large log cabin quilt. My blocks measure 12-1/2. I cut the batting 13 inches square and the backing 15 inches square. Put them together, press both sides and I did stippling. Then I folded the backing back (out of the way) and trimmed the batting even with the top block piece. I am able to put two blocks with the back sides right side together and sew right along the top block/batting edge. I then fold the top flaps (for lack of a better work) to the edge of the block top, again on the block and stitch down the side, securing the 'sashing'. I really like this method, it is quick and enables me to do another design with the backing fabric.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Deb, really clear instructions, that is the method I use also. I have been adapting almost all my quilts to the QAYG method.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Google Goddess

thank you!

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I just started to do this with a large log cabin quilt. My blocks measure 12-1/2. I cut the batting 13 inches square and the backing 15 inches square. Put them together, press both sides and I did stippling. Then I folded the backing back (out of the way) and trimmed the batting even with the top block piece. I am able to put two blocks with the back sides right side together and sew right along the top block/batting edge. I then fold the top flaps (for lack of a better work) to the edge of the block top, again on the block and stitch down the side, securing the 'sashing'. I really like this method, it is quick and enables me to do another design with the backing fabric.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:34 PM

I love the QAYG technique, and have used it several times. Like Pollyv9, I have adapted several of my favorite patterns to this style. I'm scheduled to teach a 9 year-old how to do this method a little later in the summer, and I think that the quickness factor will be a big plus!
Old 07-04-2010, 04:05 AM

I started my quilt addiction after watching Georgia Bonesteel on PBS. Her series taught the QAYG method and is the one I use most often now. All of her books {Lap Quilting} teach the method and are very well written.