Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you Go >

Quilt as you Go

Quilt as you Go

Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Very clever!
Old 08-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Beverly, I have no pattern in mind, I just heard about this method and was curious...sounds like a quilt could be finished at home without the trip to the quilters.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:40 PM

I like the QAYG reversible quilts myself and plan to try one soon. I saw it on Simply Quilts years ago by Sharon Pedersen. Sinple & cute baby quilt is what she demonstrated.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:34 PM

I've tried a few different methods from different sources - I have the book Reversible Quilts by Sharon Pederson, and also Quilting in Sections by Marti Mitchell. I also have the Georgia Bonesteel "Lap Quilting" books, which refer to hand quilting, but the construction techniques would work with machine quilted sections as well.

I like the Pederson method, but it is kind of limited because of the ultra-narrow sashings, if you don't want that look for your quilt. Marti Mitchell's book has several different methods and I've tried a couple on small projects, and each one has its advantages and disadvantages. What I settled on for a queen size quilt I'm about to start quilting was actually a variation on one of Marti Mitchell's methods. My main problem with a lot of her methods is the layers of batting make very bulky seams.

My suggestion is to go with the free internet tutes first (wish I'd thought of that before buying books) then go to the library and check out whatever is there, then buy books if you have to. It will still be a lot cheaper than paying someone else to quilt. I tried out different methods on baby quilts, so that I wouldn't have the time/$$ investment of a larger quilt, but could get a feel for what would work for me. And someone is always having a baby, seems like.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:54 PM

Check out my own tutorial on this in tutorial section. "Quilt as you go that Deb uses."
Old 08-21-2010, 01:41 AM
Banned

Here is a picture of the quilt as you go that I did this spring. It was the second quilt as you go that I have done, and honestly it was so much easier and quicker than the first one where you had all the individual blocks that you quilted then sewed them together. It is called Ribbons in Motion. You start in the center and make the complete vertical stripe and sew it to all three layers at once. Plus I like this one so much better. I guess it also depends on how big of a quilt as you go that you want to make. I took this to enter at the local fair so we will see how it does on Wednesday.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100824.jpe