Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go >

Quilt as you go

Quilt as you go

Old 02-14-2011, 03:10 PM

I have several BOM squares to do & would like to try a quilt it as I piece them. Has anyone done this & how is it done? I thought that this method would help me with many UFO's.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:13 PM

I would like to try it myself just haven't got to that project yet I have to still check it out
Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM

I have done this. I piece all the blocks in a row across what is the width of my quilt minus borders.

Use batting and backing slightly larger than the row of blocks (same as in a whole quilt). Use your usual method of fixing the 3 layers together.

Then you can machine or hand quilt but do not go right to the edges - leave a good 1/2 inch around the outer edges so that you can join the strips together.

when you are ready to put the strips together, stitch the blocks together with a 1/4 seam. Press as normal - just the top. Trim the batting so that the two edges meet and again use your usual method for joining batting. I stitch my hand and use a zig zag ladder stitch.

I find it easiest to join the back by laying one piece over the other, and then folding the raw edge under and use a very small hem stitch to catch it together. If you have left a fair bit of extra fabric, trim it to a sensible amount before overlapping it.

I hope this makes sense, if you are still not sure, please PM me. It is very easy, but it does leave lots of seams on the backing. It is fun to make the backing of different fabrics so that the quilt becomes reversible.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:25 PM

I'm very interested in this also. I think lots of us are!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

If you go to Search on top and type in Tutorial for Quilt As You Go lots will come up.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:47 PM

There are several ways to do it. Check out youtube also
Old 02-14-2011, 04:07 PM

I like "quilt as you go" It is quick and easy without getting overwelming. Utube has great tutorials on this.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:09 PM

I have only made the Quilt as you go from patterns that specify that. Mine turned out great. It was so nice that when you finished piecing, you were ready to sew on the binding and you were done.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Cyn

I have been using this method for quite a while! I love it and once you do it, you'll wonder why you waited! I just wish all my ufo's were such that this method would work :)
Old 02-14-2011, 05:28 PM
LMB

I have a question about this as long as we are on the subject. Can you quilt the blocks with fm then sew them together? Wow would I like that because my machine does not like FMQ on a big quilt (I blame it on the machine, but the truth is I am just not that good. Little sandwitches I can do but I am scared to try a big quilt.)