Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt as you go vs Quilt top method >

Quilt as you go vs Quilt top method

Quilt as you go vs Quilt top method

Old 03-29-2017, 03:38 AM

Welcome to the QB from Wisconsin! Either technique would give you a different look as far as the finished product. There is a bunch of info out there about QAYG - maybe you should try one of each to see which you prefer best! Keep us posted on your decision and progress - we'd love to hear!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:01 AM

I agree. Look up to see if there is a local quilt guild and ask them for some longarm quilter names.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:47 AM

I saw an episode of Sewing With Nancy where she did what she calls column quilts. She has a book called "Quick Column Quilts". It's a QAYG method by column, not by block.

https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Column-Quilts-Beautiful-Designs/dp/1440239215/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490791601&sr=8-1&keywords=quick+column+quilts

Old 03-29-2017, 06:05 AM

Welcome to our amazing board! I have tried several QAYG techniques. I personally really like the "quilting in columns" & I think is doable for a beginner. There is a you tube video for this technique. For the quilting part you can straight line quilt. Doesn't have to be fancy quilting. There is no hand sewing. Also there are just tons of beginner quilt blocks to piece. Maybe try a fence rail. Have fun & Happy Quilting
Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 AM

My first QAYG project was "the Betsy Quilt" by Valori Wells. The top comes together in three large pieces so I quilted each piece separately leaving 1.5 inches on that side that I would connect, then I put two pieces right sides together and did the top, the batting, and finally the backing. Worked very well and I only had to do it twice. If you look there's a line on the back where I stitched thru all the layers, I was able to hide it in the front but it shows on the back. My daughter didn't care, she sleeps with it every night I recommend the pattern, easy for beginners and a great way to use solids or fun large prints.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:07 AM

I quilt smaller sized quilts as a whole. I'm working on a row by row quilt using qayg because each row has lots of embellishment and it's easier to handle that way, plus I don't have a definite plan for how it will end up!
Old 03-30-2017, 12:40 PM

I am teaching myself QAG and it can be challenging. My first real, planned quilt, I paid to have quilted ('quilting by check' they call it). The quilter did an amazing job for me, but I quickly realized that the quilt I was making for me no longer felt like my work since she had done the hard part for me. My next four quilts I quilted myself using SID ( stitch in the ditch), but my shoulder objected strongly due to arthritis. I hand quilted a "cheater" panel years ago, but my "death grip" on the needle bends them. I am now trying to master QAG so that the whole quilt stays 'my work'. Your experiences will influence how you quilt yours. Do what feels good and makes you happy. Just plan to try different methods since you have time until Christmas. Enjoy and Welcome from Oregon.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:59 PM

I'm doing the 365 challenge quilt, quilt as you go. and quilted by hand or machine, I'd highly recommend Thermore batting.
https://www.connectingthreads.com/ba...g__D20825.html

How do I love thee, let me count the ways...
Originally designed for quilted clothes, it is super thin, very drapable, and I'm even splitting that in half!
Great for my little blocks, but this batt, halved, makes it a lot easier to machine quilt that bulk in a full size

It is SO light, a monster quilt would never be heavy!
(poly, guaranteed to not beard) so even thin you get a nice effect from the quilting.
I haven't needed to baste my blocks (6.5") for marking or quilting, cotton Sticks to it!

A good friend to my pocketbook, my 90"X 108" was under twenty dollars. Under ten dollars if you count that I'll be getting two quilts out of it
I'm also self facing the blocks bringing the backing around to the front, so no sashing...

The image is a baker's dozen blocks ...so you can see how thin and light these blocks are.

edited to add: Welcome butters, nice folk here, glad you've joined us
Attached Thumbnails 3-kalama-quilts-365-quilt-you-go-blocks-mar2817.jpg  

Last edited by KalamaQuilts; 03-30-2017 at 05:08 PM.