Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilted Picnic Blanket made with Oilcloth? Help!

Hi all,

I am thinking of starting a new project soon, and I would appreciate any advice or tips you may have.

I would like to make a simple quilted picnic blanket for use in a park or on the beach. The top side would be a simple quilt pattern made with cottons, and I would tie the quilt instead of machine quilt it.

The back is the issue. Ideally, I would like to use an oilcloth or other waterproof fabric on the back, so any groundwater would not seep through. I have never sewed with waterproof fabric, so I have a few questions:

1. Should I use oilcloth or vinyl-coated cotton? Is one fabric better than the other?

2. Can I sew oilcloth to cotton fabric? Will there be any problems?

3. Do I need batting for the blanket? I would like to keep it thin.

4. Can I wash the quilt if it gets dirty? I don't know if oilcloth can be machine washed.

Thanks so much for your help, and I look forward to hearing from you!

I've never used oilcloth, but did something similar with cotton duck, sprayed down with Scotchguard

It was a great beach blanket, and kept it for the dogs to lay on in the truck.

Blog Entries
    I haven't had any experience with this but have to wonder if the oilcloth would tear along the stitching lines. Anyone else have some thoughts?

I have made table covers from oil cloth and hemmed them. Sounds like a good idea to me. no stitches did not break the oil cloth and it does wash in machine.

Linda

Power Poster
    One can get flannel backed vinyl.

I don't think I would try quilting oilcloth. All those stitches would just be opportunities for water/stains to happen.