Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilted shower curtain >

Quilted shower curtain

Quilted shower curtain

Old 03-13-2021, 04:14 AM

Default Quilted shower curtain

Has anyone made a shower curtain - I have a beautiful print with a picture of a quilt and scripture on it and I want to hang it in my bathroom. I thought a quilty shower curtain would be neat - ideas??
Old 03-13-2021, 04:29 AM

I have not made a shower curtain, but sister-in-law did and it was a beautiful statement when entering the bathroom. She made it just like a regular quilt minus the batting. I don't recall which method she used to hang it but she did have the traditional shower curtain rings. Maybe a reinforced top edge with button holes. (Just guessing.) She passed away 20+ years ago and I do not know who in the family got the shower curtain. I have seen quilted shower curtain tutorials online.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:35 AM

Wouldn't a true quilted shower curtain be too heavy? If it was something I wanted in my bathroom I would hem all the sides and then put buttonhole along the top so the shower rings could fit in. I would also use a clear plastic shower liner with it.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:00 AM

I have seen a tutorial on making a quilty shower curtain and I think it was by Missouri Star Quilt Co. If I remember right it was a tutorial by Misty Doan
Old 03-13-2021, 05:09 AM
Power Poster

One layer of fabric over the plastic liner would be fine.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:43 AM

i used decorative fabric for a curtain, had liner hanging behind it. just did hems and at that time button holes. also had a valance with dragonflies embroidered on it. purchased fabric too. not much sewing. doing a panel with backing over seams and a liner shouldn't be too heavy for a rod to hold up. Go for it.

Last edited by Quiltwoman44; 03-13-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

I made a regular quilt top and realized I had no wall space for it so I turned it into a shower curtain. I backed it with muslin,no batting, and hand quilted it. I made loops from the border fabric to hang over the rod. A shower liner keeps it dry. It's a fall theme so hangs for a few months with no problems. Probably close to 10 years old by now.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Yes by all means you can! This is constructed like a quilt except I used flannel as batting. It was FMQ on my DSM. Like zennia I put loops on mine and use a shower liner. My bathroom has no window and this adds a nice visual. It was not easy to get a photo of it! My tub is a 6' tub and I needed the extra width. I think it's 72 x 72. I figured when I got tired of it I could use it as a summer quilt. It's been hanging for 14 years! Looks like the day I hung it up
Attached Thumbnails 051.jpg  

Last edited by oksewglad; 03-14-2021 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
One layer of fabric over the plastic liner would be fine.
This is how I would imagine the best way would be.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

MrsClaas .... just saw this and thought of you!

Sew A Patchwork Shower Curtain from Fat Quarters! — SewCanShe | Free Sewing Patterns and Tutorials