Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter’s Dream Puff batting >

Quilter’s Dream Puff batting

Quilter’s Dream Puff batting

Old 05-26-2020, 09:36 AM

Default Quilter’s Dream Puff batting

Hi all. I am about to finish a quilt top made with a white background. I love Quilter’s Dream wool but it is yellowish in color and I’m afraid it might make the white look washed out. Have any of you used Quilter’s Dream Puff? How warm is it? I want to use it in FL. I have a quilt with Quilter’s Dream batting and it is not too warm. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:01 AM

Meant to say, I have a quilt with QD wool and it is not too hot. Looking for batting that is white with loft like the QD wool batting, but that is not too hot. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:29 PM

Well I was going to suggest poly, but it's usually quite warm. Have you auditioned your top against the wool to see if it shows through the white?
The other thing you can do is put a layer of plain white fabric such as muslin, cotton lawn, or batiste between the top and the batting.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

I have used Dream wool in white quilts- it did not dim the whiteness of the white at all. Unless your white is quite thin- see through- it should be fine. Or you could try Warm & White. Dream puff is polyester so doesn’t breath- it is lightweight and a nice loft but will be warm. Personally I would use the wool. My summer quilt is an all white whole cloth with Dream wool batting. It is very white
Old 05-26-2020, 02:38 PM

I would suggest, as Peckish said, try placing the top over some of the QD wool. Hopefully, you have maybe a little left from your other project. I don't think you will be happy with a different type of batting, especially poly in Florida, since the wool worked so well for you. I actually checked out a top with lots of white deciding between QD cotton natural and QD white. I could not tell a difference between the two.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:33 PM

I had a similar concern and didn't use the QD wool and so sorry I didn't. Was talked into using cotton blend and it was so much warmer than the wool. Living in So. Cal. and the quilt being for me (I know it was selfish but once in a while we need to keep one or two) I like the weight and coolness of wool. I think you might see it if you hold it up - but on a bed or being used as a throw it probably wouldn't be noticeable. It you have the batting, check it for yourself, Layer the three fabrics and see how it looks.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 05-26-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:41 PM

Thank you all for your replies and input. I used Michael Miller cotton couture soft white fabric, which I love, but it is thinner. I put a cream color towel under the quilt top and I think it might be ok. I don’t have any scrap QD wool batting here but I am going to order some. Thanks again.