Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter Slidelock is being made again. >

Quilter Slidelock is being made again.

Quilter Slidelock is being made again.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Default Quilter Slidelock is being made again.

The US family that made them retired and another has bought the rights to make the Slidelock. If you don't know about Slidelock here is a video. I bought one when it was only made in Australia, then a US couple bought the rights and made them until retirement and now another bought the rights.
If you don't know about Slidelock here is a video. Mine are clear but now they are the yellow color. I have the large and small size and I don't cut fabric without it. One visit to the ER with a cut I never cut without a safety device. The hurt and trauma aren't worth the it will never happen to me because I am careful thinking. Great to keep fabric in place, no slipping or movement at all. I use the large one to smooth out the quit when glue basting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGheLl_MS8E&t=425s
Old 05-24-2023, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

I bought both several years ago, in fact, it was at YOUR recommendation! I don't recall where I got them though. Seems it was in the US. I like the trick about smoothing the quilt when glue basting too! I'm going to do it.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

They are a one time purchase, very well made. I take mine to retreats and everyone is amazed they never saw them before. It is in use all the time at the cutting table.
I got the tip about smoothing the quilt top from this board from a clever poster!
Old 05-27-2023, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I am interested, if my mojo ever comes back! Question - they demo using the lines on the cutting board. Donna Jordan uses the lines on the cutting board too vs. the lines on the ruler. I think for me and the type of quilting I do, lines on cutting board would be fine. But I have read numerous conversations here about No No No, don't use cutting board lines because they aren't accurate. I guess one could measure with the ruler first? Thoughts?
Old 05-27-2023, 10:33 AM

I go love my Sidelock - definitely lessens the chance of injury. In answer to the question of measuring with a ruler vs the lines on the mat: If i am rough cutting, then I rely on the lines on the mat. If I am concerned about more precise measurements, then I use a ruler. Since I have an Accuquilt cutter, I mostly rough cut.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

I use my Slidelock on top of my ruler most times. No one way is the right way. I use the lines on my cutting mat when it's easier then using a ruler or I can't find the ruler I just had in my hands a minute ago. I stopped caring about quilt rules long ago.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:18 AM

Oh, I just sent them an email. I use my Slidelock occasionally, but what I really loved from that company was the Dragonskin Resize It templates!

There are LOTS of small squares that can be used, but these have a handle AND the no slip surface. I've tried a few of the different add on handles on my acrylic square rulers, they are okay, but none work as well as the Dragonskin.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I remember the Dragonskins. When I got to try one and loved it they were not being made anymore.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I remember the Dragonskins. When I got to try one and loved it they were not being made anymore.
I sent them an email and it was answered almost immediately. They will be making them again! It will have a new name, as the other is copyrighted, but they are working on it. They were actually discussed in the last YouTube live video made by the company (Sew Be It).

The handle will be different from the original, from the look of the prototypes. The handle on the original was the same material as the template. On the prototype, the handle looks to be some sort of metal - but the grippy template is the same and the handle is part of the unit, rather than an add on as some others, such as the Gypsy grippers, are.

I'm really excited about this!
Old 05-30-2023, 01:50 PM

Hello everyone! I saw our name being mentioned here so I just wanted to chime in. If you have any questions about the Slidelock, or want any information on any other of our products, or have suggestions (please, we love making improvements), just let us know!

Last edited by SewBeItQuilts; 05-30-2023 at 01:53 PM.