Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter's Dream Angel batt >

Quilter's Dream Angel batt

Quilter's Dream Angel batt

Old 08-31-2019, 04:09 PM

Default Quilter's Dream Angel batt

Hello -
I am dithering about using this batt for a baby quilt but have only found a few endorsements here on the board from those who have used it.

Apparently, the fibers are "engineered" to be not flammable without using chemicals, but I am not finding info on what the fibers are made of. Or what it's like to quilt with.

I looked on Hancock's, Missouri Star, KQ, and Fat Quarter Shop, and they're not carrying it, which makes me wonder. Didn't find any reviews other than a few on Amazon. I think it's been around for awhile.

Does anyone have thought on this?

Thanks!

hugs,
charlotte
Old 08-31-2019, 05:29 PM

On their website it says the fiber content is proprietary so they may not disclose what the fibers are.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:03 PM

I like this company's batting. They make 2 kinds, "request" which is "thinnest loft preferred by hand quilters also excellent for machine quilting" and "select" which is "favorite loft for machine quilters also exceptional for hand quilting". It's flannel-like, smooth, even, and unfolds easily. I had no trouble quilting it on DSM (but I'm a naive quilter).
Old 08-31-2019, 06:34 PM

Purchasing flame resistant batting from a reputable company for a baby quilt seems like a “no-brainer”. It’s probably not carried by the mail-orders because it’s a niche product with a limited market. Most people probably don’t want spend the extra money for it.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:52 PM

Living with a fire fighter I come at this issue from a different perspective. I would (and do for all of my quilts) stick with 100% natural fiber (cotton; wool; silk) as these fibers will burn vs melt onto the person's skin. I have also, sadly, been privy to info regarding folks involved in propane fires and particularly those wearing synthetic clothing. It is those fabrics/fibers melting into the skin of the burn victims that creates the most serious burns.

For baby or any other quilts I make - 100% natural fibers.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Living with a fire fighter I come at this issue from a different perspective. I would (and do for all of my quilts) stick with 100% natural fiber (cotton; wool; silk) as these fibers will burn vs melt onto the person's skin. I have also, sadly, been privy to info regarding folks involved in propane fires and particularly those wearing synthetic clothing. It is those fabrics/fibers melting into the skin of the burn victims that creates the most serious burns.

For baby or any other quilts I make - 100% natural fibers.
According to their website the product is designed to char, not burn or melt. I don’t know what their testing methods are, but that seems preferable to me if it’s true. QD is a reputable, “higher end” supplier of materials for quilters, so I would tend to believe their statement since they have a lot riding on it.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
It is those fabrics/fibers melting into the skin of the burn victims that creates the most serious burns.
This is precisely why QD makes the Dream Angel batting. It won't melt into the skin.

I have some, just haven't used it yet.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:01 PM

I have been using Dream Angel for several years. It quilts nicely--is drapeable and soft. It is the only batting I will use if I know I'm doing a quilt for a child too young to throw off a quilt.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:25 AM

I would like to try this batting on a baby quilt? Is there any shrinkage when washed?
Old 09-04-2019, 06:50 PM

Thanks to all of you who took time to weigh in on this. ND Quilter, thanks for letting us know that you have used it and liked it. I think I will spring for some and try it.

hugs,
charlotte