Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilters guild >

quilters guild

quilters guild

Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM

Anyone ever join a quilters guild? what do you think of them?
Old 03-03-2011, 12:06 PM

Yes I am part of my local guild. I really enjoy going to the meetings and meeting other quilters and especially seeing all their work!!!! Because I work, I have never been able to attend any workshops from our various speakers. We are a large club (300+) so we are able to bring in nationally known speakers a lot
We have a very generous guild and have 2 big "give away's" a year. We give away over 600 quilts a year to local charities, not including bibs, burp cloths, pillow cases, and knitted baby caps by the hundreds.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM

I belong to two local guilds and enjoy both. I am also in a smaller group from each where we get together and sew monthly.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 PM

I joined one about five months ago and love it. The people are nice, friendly and helpful. I have a lot of friends but none of them quilt, now I have a couple of new friends that do. I'm going on a retreat with them next month. Can't wait.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 PM

I'm going to try the Dallas Quilters Guild tonight. I am giving this one more try & hopefully will be able to find someone I can talk to or have someone talk to me.
**see some of my other postings for my not-so-good experiences.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Kas

Yep. Going tonight, as a matter of fact! I have had to miss the last two meetings because of my neck surgery and I forgot one of them! Some last minute thing came up that needed my attention and I got sidetracked and realized later I had missed it. My guild only meets once a month, so it's a bummer when I miss. We are having a rummage sale tonight. I hope I can find some fun things.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:51 PM

I belong to 1 quilting guild and then a quilting group that is Christian but quilters are from different churches.

The guild has lots of educational programs and I learn a lot of new techniques. We try to have national teachers in twice a year with classes offered. We do retreats 2-3 times a year that are affordable. We also do charity quilting.

The group has a more varied level of expertise in its' quilters. Many are just beginners. The focus is on charity quilting. Their retreats are more costly and no quilting can be done when Sunday services are in session, even though it is not required to attend ... the sewing room[s] are locked during that time.

ali
Old 03-03-2011, 03:00 PM

I also belong to the Quilt Guild in my city. We have about 150+ members, but probably half do not attend the meetings. We give quilts and Christmas stockings to varied charities throughout the year. We have one retreat each year, plus bus trips to Road to California. We also have teachers/speakers at least 6 times each year. This year I am in charge of the Challenge Quilt. We also have show and tell each meeting. This weekend is our bi-annual quilt show. We have over 150 quilts on show plus many vendors.
I love going, unless the next day is a work day and I have to be up by 5:30 am. Sometimes I sneak out early.