Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilter's ironing board >

Quilter's ironing board

Quilter's ironing board

Old 02-08-2018, 11:05 PM

Default Quilter's ironing board

I find it odd that one of the most needed tools for quilting is so difficult to find And that when you find something it seems rather uninspired. The fact that I see so many You Tube posts on how to make extensions for our existing ironing boards says a lot. Those of you with husbands or friends with tools and time to help make one of these are indeed lucky.
Strangely enough I finally found something called Pin n Press that really seemed to fit the bill,....... unfortunately I can't find a manufacturer or seller.
My question to the group is "have you heard of it, and do you know where I might get one"?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76gO...gnvvJ7qx-rwd8w

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 02-09-2018 at 03:25 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps, make link active
Old 02-09-2018, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board! I did a bit of surfing and it looks like all the posts about this product are 7-8 years old, so I'm guessing it's not longer being manufactured. There are a couple of products that you put over your existing ironing boards:
https://www.amazon.com/Better-Board-...+ironing+board
I think most folks have a Big Board:
https://bigboardenterprises.com/
Finally, the company from your youtube link sounded familiar. I'm a big fan of Bloc Loc rulers, and their company is USAUS. Might be just a coincidence, but I would contact them. If it's an old product, and they manufactured it, they might just have some old stock hanging around. You never know!
http://blocloc.com/about-us/
Old 02-09-2018, 06:25 AM

Thanks I'll do that.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:06 AM

I just had a piece of wood cut at Lowes and made my own large ironing board (several tutorials on youtube) It was the best thing I ever did. I just set the huge ironing board on top of my old ironing board and use it that way. I didn't even put anything on the bottom of the board to hold it as they suggest, it just stays. I thought I was going to take it out when ironing large pieces of fabric but I just leave it out and use it everyday as a work/iron surface. I love it! Wished I would of made it a long time ago, it would of made ironing so much easier. I recently purchased a Panasonic cordless iron and it is fantastic. I have hand issues so just placing the iron on the base is saving my hands from tilting my wrist up to the regular iron standing position.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Banned

I have an old(1960s) Singer school cabinet/table that opens out to about 36"x47". I took one of my practice pieces from my long arm and taped it to the top of the table for a cover. It makes a great pressing/cutting table. I plan on cutting the cover to fit and putting elastic around it. Or I might just cut the long end and tape it like the other 3 sides.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]588707[/ATTACH]

Cari
Attached Thumbnails s5032858.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 06:04 AM

I have one of the big boards and find that it’s great for ironing large pieces. I have a fairly heavyweight ironing board on which to place it and have one caveat: the boards are heavy and may cause the ironing board to fail earlier than it would have done with ordinary use. I had to to replace my last board after 8 years compared to the 35 years that my first board lasted.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:52 AM

Attached is a picture of how mine is set up. I put four 34 inch high by 30 inch wide bookcases so that one set of two backed against the second set of two. I than went to Home Depot and had them cut me a piece of plywood that was 60 inches by 36 inches. I used the ironing board material from JoAnn's, some batting for a little cushion and a heavy duty stapler. I stapled the batting and fabric to the underside. I now have the perfect ironing board, storage and a place to use as a cutting table when not ironing. I am short, so the 34 inch high bookcases worked for me.

PS: Do not look at how messy it is.
Attached Thumbnails ironingsetup.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by waltonalice View Post
I have one of the big boards and find that it’s great for ironing large pieces. I have a fairly heavyweight ironing board on which to place it and have one caveat: the boards are heavy and may cause the ironing board to fail earlier than it would have done with ordinary use. I had to to replace my last board after 8 years compared to the 35 years that my first board lasted.
My original ironing board is 63 years old. I had a neighbor fix it about 30 years ago (he charged me $5.00) and it is still going. I'm going to put a big board on it now; hope it holds up. It has height adjustment, so that is good for me. I can have it high to iron standing, and lower it to sit and iron.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:20 PM

I NEED THIS BOARD. A big board would do me absolutely no good. I cannot sit to iron as I need to for my scoliotic spine and with the pain issues that I have because my LONG legs won't fit under the board when it is a height I can use. Painful and assures me a "season" or "spell" of serious back trouble and pain.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:37 PM

It does look intriguing. Are you meant to sit at it, though? I don't see how you could sit comfortably and spread yardage, or reach across it to press yardage.

I have a Better Board. It's basically a Big Board, but folds in half for storage. It is so nice to have the larger surface for pressing and working on while putting large pieces together.