Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: quilters knot learned!!! finallly!!!

Blog Entries

quilters knot learned!!! finallly!!!

i'm 66 yrs old. and have never taken the time to conq. the quilters knot. any ole' knot in the end of the thread was good enough for me.
    With a sick grandkid, and he was deep into a movie, i just decided as i was sitting there hand quilting on my 2nd dear jane. that i was going to learn it 'by darn'.
    so I went to u-tube, and found one, and the 2nd one i clicke on, just explained it sooooo easy.
    puduq. ky yo yo quilters--THANK YOU!!!!!

thread your needle.
    put your needle in your right hand,
    and the END of the thread in the left hand. point the end of the needle and the very end of your thread AT each other.
    then lay them side by side on top of each other . grasp both with your right thumb and forefinger.
    with your left hand, wind the long length of thread around the tip of the needle 3 times.
    with the left forefinger and thumb, grasp the wound thread on top of the needle and thread.
    slide it all the way down your needle to the end of the thread. clip to 1/4 inc.

don't you think it was about time that i learned this? walla. done. learned.

Do you remember which Youtube link you used? Would love to see it. Thanks!

Are you left handed? I do it just opposite. I hold the needle in my left hand, and wind the thread around 3 times with my right hand. I am right handed, so would that make a difference? Not that it matters, as long as you get the knot made!

That is the same YouTube video that I learned it from!! I could not figure it out for years, and then finally went looking for instruction. They did a great job in explaining and showing.

Blog Entries
    just type in u-tube quilters knot. and you will get a selection of vidoes to choose from. the first one was silent, and went toooo fast. the 2nd one i clicked on happended to be them. pudq, ky yo yo quilters. i have watched the instructions before, from a 'day' lady. and she was just real nice and good, but i guess i just wasn't in the mood to have it stick. for some reason it just clicked today, and the the knot was great. not too big, and not to little. neat and precise.

When something clicks it just clicks - thanks for the info on where to find this information.

Blog Entries
    I learned the quilters knot at an early age, it wasn't called the quilter's knot but how to tie a hook to fishing line! LOL
    Got fabric?

Power Poster
    I have used the quilter's knot for years but recently found a youtube on keeping one strand of thread on your needle. I tried it and it works! Now it is so much easier for hand sewing my binding down. Youtube rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I have used the quilter's knot for years but recently found a youtube on keeping one strand of thread on your needle. I tried it and it works! Now it is so much easier for hand sewing my binding down. Youtube rocks!
    Not sure what you mean. Would you please send the youtube link? Thank you.

Ooops!! I never knew there was one - something new I learned today, thanks - will start practising

Blog Entries
    This is where I learned it. It's a picture tutorial in case anyone doesn't like to (or can't) watch videos.

http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/pho...not/knot1.html

I'm 67 and still can't learn it. I tie a knot in the end of the thread. When sewing my bindings on I take a stitch into the seam allowance. The knot is securely tied and hiden. Whatever works for you is the right way for you.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

teeler, thanks so much for taking the time to find and post the youtube link!!

And Gale, thanks so much for the picture link. It was actually very easy to follow.
    Last edited by Suzette316; 04-25-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Power Poster
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  192.7 KBI don't remember the exact youtube spot I watched but once your needle is threaded and you've done your quiter's knot on the end....you take the loose end of the thread by your needle and put the needle point through the thread 3 times ( kind if like a running stitch) It takes a bit of time to pierce the thread but once you have it done you pull it down the needle and it locks the loose end without adding any thickness to the thread. It passes through the fabric perfectly but doesn't pull out of the eye.
    Last edited by Tartan; 04-25-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Thank you for this post and thank you to the person who posted the link to the Yo Yo Quilters U-Tube. I finished quilting a small quilt last night and was having problems ending a line of quilting. I have planned to post a thread today to find out how to do this.

You beat me to it and I am so glad! Happy quilting!

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Thank you, I am off to learn!

Blog Entries
    I demoed how to make this knot at a beginner quilt program. DH drilled a hole in 12" long dowel rod and tapered the end. I used yarn as the thread. Everyone had a needle and thread to follow along. Every person mastered it in no time.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I started hand quilting and went to a class. Start with a quilters. Knot. Oh hmmm. When I had been shown I was already doing one and had been since I started sewing. This was the way I was taught to make a knot.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Is the secret of keeping that one strand on the needle TYING IT?

That'S what I do

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I learned the quilters knot at an early age, it wasn't called the quilter's knot but how to tie a hook to fishing line! LOL
    As I was reading all the posts I was wondering how to do the knot...but thanks to you I already know LOL My Dad taught me how to tie the hook to the line a long time ago...little did I know it would come in handy with my quilting!!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Blog Entries
    when i was quilting on jane today, i had so much fun remembering to make the correct knot everytime, and i am sewing in the seam now instead of burying the knot, like i used to do. thx again yo yo quilters of peduq, ky. seems like i am always learning something new .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Is the secret of keeping that one strand on the needle TYING IT?

That'S what I do
    No, if you tie a knot then you will have problems getting the knotted thread through the fabric! You sew the needle through the thread three times, just like it shows in Tartan's picture. Here's a YouTube video if that helps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L84L0HqOn50

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    Awesome!! Congrats to you! I've been teaching my daughter this knot...she may never get as into quilting as I am but I want her to remember those knots...memory makers!
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I didn't think you had to "pierce" the thread; just wrap it.
    I have always wrapped the thread two or three times around my "wet" finger, (with my tongue, of course), then rolled those threads a little and pulled down on the thread to the knot.
    I have tried the quilters knot as shown, but haven't mastered it.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast